Chapter Twenty-Three

"There are two kinds of guilt: the kind that drowns you until you're useless, and the kind that fires your soul to purpose

"There are two kinds of guilt: the kind that drowns you until you're useless, and the kind that fires your soul to purpose." - Sabaa Tahir

Entering training centre three, Alia is thankful that the establishment is still open, for this is the only place she knows the directions to other than the tavern.

After leaving her house, Alia thought about walking to the one across from hers and asking Liam if he knew where to find their Gamma, but she quickly decided that she didn't want to disturb him. So, she headed off on her own through the cold and quiet town of Veuross, contemplating how she'll approach the Gamma with her questions.

Is she acting entitled? There must be a reason why Inna never informed her of the true situation... yet, a nagging feeling at the pit of her stomach has Alia ignoring her submissive, untitled position in the Pack.

Was it Bertraim's doing?

Has he found her?

Fuck. She really should have killed him.

Warm air blows from above, pulling Alia from her thoughts as she walks towards the oval reception desk, music still playing from deep within the training centre. Her hands are shoved deep in her jacket pockets as she nears a free staff member. They look different from before, they must have changed shifts.

"Hi!" A curly-haired female with brown skin sits behind a computer with a bright, welcoming smile on her face. Dark brown ringlets fall past her shoulders, framing a face beautifully accentuated with makeup.

Alia looks into her pale green, almond-shaped eyes with a small smile tugging at her lips. If she remembers correctly, the girl's features resemble those originating from the Pack of Notos. "Hi, this might be a weird question," Alia says, almost to herself as she looks down at the granite reception desk. "But, do you have any idea where the Gamma might be? Or how I can speak with him?"

"Oh, well whenever he's in town, he usually just spends his time at his office - I can write you the address if you'd like?" The girl reaches to the side and grabs a small notepad along with a blue, ballpoint pen.

Their conversation must've caught the attention of one of the other workers, for a man with chestnut-coloured skin and short, black dreads reaches the pair. "I don't think Gamma will be there tonight," he says, placing a hand on the female's shoulder whilst looking at Alia.

The seated girl looks up at the male, confused, "oh?"

His eyes flicker between the two women, "you haven't heard?"