𝖜𝖊𝖑𝖈𝖔𝖒𝖊 𝖇𝖆𝖈𝖐

To avoid any type of confrontation from students on the train, Snape decided to travel to Hogwarts earlier with Ariana

"What is wrong Ariana?"

"Nothing." She replied looking down, avoiding eye contact.

By the time Ariana's trunks had been placed in her room she slammed the door and locking it. Despite her greatest efforts at trying to keep anyone out her uncle was more skilled and was able to reverse the spell.

"I know you're upset."

"No you don't! Is your father the most feared wizard of all time that people can't even say his name! But that isn't even his name! To me he isn't Lord Voldemort he is Tom Riddle, my dad. Who cares for me and loves her! Despite him supposedly not being able to love but he loved mum and he loved me. People are going to treat me differently just because of my dad. Which isn't fair, I'm the same person I was last year that I am now."

Stan had jumped up on her lap, licking her hands in an attempt to comfort her.

"I bet even teachers will treat me different now."

"That would be unprofessional to do so."

"I know one teacher won't hold your parentage against you."

"Oh yeah, who?"

"Me."

"Of course you won't. Your my uncle."

"That doesn't mean I have to. Just because you're my niece. I don't hold you accountable for your father, I care for you because of who you are."

"That is one of the nicest things I've ever heard you say."

"Only for you. Don't tell anyone." Snape's monotone voice was still present but was a bit lighter that was only reserved for Ariana.

"Why don't you head to the Hall and catch up on some potions."

"Okay, even though I'm better than most seven years." She said, smiling how it's probably the truth. As Snape left she searched for the advanced potions book and saw Stan purring.

"Invisique." Ariana said without using her wand, Stan became invisible as she placed him in her bag.

It had been around an hour and she heard the whistle of the Hogwarts Express. Her anxiety levels increasing. Ariana tried to focus on a recently learnt potion but it seemed to fail.

"Miss Snape. May I sit here?" McGonagall asked, trying to calm down the girl.

"Oh yes Professor, um. How was your summer?"

"It was not that exciting, I was trying to keep up with the workload and prepare for the first years. How was yours?"

"Oh, I spent a lot of time practicing potions and spent days with Draco. I managed to drag him to London and we just walked about and I showed him the Tower Bridge."

"That sounds exciting."

"Have you ever been?"

"Yes, in fact the first time I went was your age and that was many, many years ago." She said, causing Ariana to giggle but then covered it up with a cough.

"No, you can laugh. I sometimes do when thinking about it."

"What do you think this year will be like?"

"Do you mean for everyone, for me or for you? I think for everyone it will be interesting as we have a new defence against the dark arts teacher. For me it will be like every other year, teaching the same information and what not. For you however, I cannot determine that."

"Will people treat me differently. Will you?"

"I believe in not blaming someone for another's actions or mistakes. I will not but I cannot say others won't."

"I'm sorry if he caused you any pain. Actually, he probably has, hasn't he?"

"You do not need to apologise. The Dark Lord is many things, which I will not say, but I believe he does care for you.

When there were rumours of a child, people assumed the worse but seeing you. I believe he does care and treat you well. That is of course if he is back." She hinted, they both knew he was but McGonagall didn't want to say it out loud in case someone was listening.

"Thank you Professor, that was something I really needed."

"Well I need to greet the first years, but I will see you in class. Remember, you can speak to me." Ariana nodded, grateful for a teacher, that's not her uncle, to assure she does not judge her.

Students from second to seventh year piled in the hall, chatting about their summers and what the new year will bring. Ariana kept her head down, in an attempt to not draw attention. Draco saw her and immediately ran up to her and brought her into a hug.

"Ari! I didn't see you on the train. Where were you?"

"Sev brought me here this morning to avoid everyone. Have you heard anything?" Draco couldn't bear lying to her but in this case he felt he had to.

"No, nothing love." Stan had appeared and crawled onto Draco's legs.

"Ariana? How is Stan here?"

"I may have made him invisible. He could tell something was wrong and he would be upset without me. Actually, McGonagall came to speak to me not long ago."

"What did she want?" Draco had to hide his dislike towards the head of Gryffindor house.

"She said she doesn't judge me." It took him by surprise. She was bias towards Gryffindors and not to Slytherins but it was good she showed some concern towards her.

"Good evening children." Dumbledore did his regular yearly speech about it being a new year, with information about new staffing, including Hagrid taking an absence which confused Ariana. She was looking forward to Care of a magical creatures as it remained her favourite subject and Hagrid was a great teacher in her opinion.

"Dray who's that in the pink? She keeps looking over here."

"Father told me, she works for the ministry."

"I don't like her clothes. There's too much pink." Pansy overheard and laughed, agreeing with Ariana.

"I won't be able to focus in her class if we have her." Ariana laughed along with her.

"Welcome our new defence against the dark arts teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge." No one clapped. It's no secret that this teaching position seemed cursed and no one had lasted a year.

"Now as usual, Mr Filch, our caretaker, has asked me to remind you-" Dumbledore was interrupted which shocked everyone.

"Hem, hem." Someone squeaked.

It turned out to be Umbridge, giving the students a full look at her completely pink outfit, which was interesting to say the least.

"Thank you headmaster for those kind words of welcome. It is lovely to see your happy and bright faces smiling up at me and I'm sure we will be great friends." Ariana heard the Weasley twins muttering something along the lines of "not likely" and Ariana could only agree.

The prefects were announced and despite Ariana's grades and friendly nature it would be controversial to appoint her the position. In her position was Pansy who did not want to do it at all.

That night Ariana couldn't sleep so she sent a message to Draco asking for him to sleep next to her to make her feel safer. Memories of last year still haunting her.

~
over 1200 words! i might not upload in the next couple days but i might we'll see, this isn't my favourite chapter despite being very long. anyways have a good day and peace out ✌️