13

GEORGE'S HELP

_____________

I blinked, quite surprised, trying to hide the nervousness in my voice.

"Georgie, it's a bit complicated to explain..."

"And I wouldn't understand?" he guessed, "Try me, Willow. I'm the smart twin."

I sighed, analysing how I could justify my absence without exposing all the depth of Theo's situation because even though I trusted George with my own life, this was Theo's business only.

"I'm helping Theo with something," I whispered.

George huffed.

"Should've guessed it had to do with Nott stealing you away from me, as usual," he murmured, with irony.

I rolled my eyes, "No, George, it's way more serious than me spending time with him just because he's my friend. I'm supporting him with something that has to do with his dad and he genuinely needs my help."

The ginger blinked, processing my words. He let out a long sigh.

"Oh," George's irony and sarcasm seemed to disappear suddenly, "That bad, huh?" 

Everybody knew Theo despised his dad.

 Everybody.

"Yes."

"And I guess you can't tell me exactly what is that ' something ' that has to do with his father, right?"

"Yes, sorry."

George laid back on his chair, crossing his arms in front of his chest, making his white shirt tighter around them, looking at me with curiosity as if he was trying to read my secrets out of my face. He took a deep breath.

"How can I help you?" 

"What?"

"How can I help you?" he repeated, slowing down the words with a little smile on his face. "I want to help."

"Why?" I asked, completely astonished. "You don't like Theo."

"You are right, I don't, but I know he is not a Death Eater and — look at you, Willow. You are completely exhausted, I haven't seen you this tired since the OWLs and I don't fancy the idea of leaving you here with all these papers on your own. You don't need to tell me what's going on, just tell me what I can do because if I have to help him in order to help you, then I'll do it. I'll do it for you."

I breathed as I tried to keep discreet how his words and presence were affecting me.

I looked back at the notebook, trying to think what he could do without entirely exposing the whole thing. My eyes focused on the messages from my father.

What if...? But I already revealed that secret to Theo... Was I doing the correct thing if I also tell George?  He knew how to keep a secret when he wanted to and even though it didn't happen often, he knew how to get serious if the situation required it.

"There is one secret you need to know if you are gonna help me," I started, still a bit hesitant. It would be like taking off a huge weight from my back, which was both scary but relieving at the same time. "But you have to swear and promise me you won't tell anyone, not even Fred."

"Are you going to tell me that your dad is persecuting the Death Eaters who escaped and that he uses a code based on astronomy to communicate with you?"

"Yes, I—," hang on. I looked at him, completely astonished, watching the mischievous smirk twisting the corners of his lips. How the fuck does he know?! "How the fuck do you know?"