66

THE START OF THE END

_____________

We immediately started packing our things, only the strictly necessary, just as we have planned for the past months.

"Can we, at least, have a bit of context before we start risking our lives?" Theo asked, with his eyes open widely but keeping his serious expression.

Sirius sighed.

"Dumbledore has known what we were doing for months now," he explained, "He wanted to collaborate with us and since Harry destroyed that diary, years ago, he has been investigating the Horcruxes with us. When we found the first one - that ring back in the Gaunt shack when we were investigating about his past, he really insisted on keeping it. The bloody fucker got poisoned by it - I don't know if he knew and simply wanted to die because he is already too fucking old or if he is not half as smart as we all thought he is."

What the fuck?

We all looked at each other, completely perplexed, trying to prove ourselves we all heard right and that Sirius had said what we thought he had said.

"Hang on," Fred intervened, "Are you saying the greatest wizard in our lifetime has got poisoned by a weird ring found in Voldemort's sweet childhood home because this old man decided to put it on? What the fuck, man? He has money enough, what does make that ring special besides having a piece of a dark wizard's soul?"

Remus took a deep breath, showing how the situation also frustrated him.

"I don't fucking know, but it definitely has to have something and I think Dumbledore has been hiding it from us for a long while now," he intervened, "It pisses me off, y'know?" Remus mumbled, looking at Sirius, "We gave him all the information we know, and bloody hell I have to be grateful to him for giving me a job but I hate this sort of secret because now we have to save him before the Death Eaters arrive without knowing exactly what we are dealing with. The first time I heard about Horcruxes was by his mouth, now how the fuck does he want me to help him with it when he can barely talk?"

"Remus, love," Sirius replied, looking at his husband with an attempt of a solemn expression, "Calm down, I know it's frustrating but you have to control yourself, we need your brains, darling, there's no one as smart as you."

"Oh, well, thank you!" Fred protested.

"Yeah, Sirius, thank you," George added.

"You're welcome, lads."

My mum cleared her throat and looked at Sirius, arching one of her eyebrows. I saw the man paling and I couldn't help but let out a little chuckle.

"Alright, you and Nabia are the smartest ones," Black corrected himself.

"Great, do we have everything ready?" my mum asked, running her eyes all over the room to make sure we all were carrying our wands.

I scowled, curious.

"You are coming to, mum?"

She looked at me, blinking completely perplexed as if I had said the most stupid thing in the world.

"Obviously, baby. Do you think I'm gonna let my children participate in a possible war on their own? Ah-ah, young lady, I'm protecting all of you," she said, sounding more convinced than ever, "I'm already being too indulgent by letting you go all there even though not even me angry would stop you. If there's no other option than my babies fighting, then I'm fighting with them in the front row."

I clicked my tongue, unable to hold back myself from going straight to hug her. She pressed me tightly against her arms and then looked at the rest of us.