Out of time

The sound of soft laughter filled her ears followed by the clinking of forks against plates

The sound of soft laughter filled her ears followed by the clinking of forks against plates. Opening her eyes, Emilie found herself  stood in the doorway to the dining room and felt a sense of familiarity. She watched the two grown ups chatting quietly as the boy around Emilies age dug into a batch of pancakes. For a moment the three didn't seem to notice her standing there until the woman turned her gaze and smiled at Emilie warmly.

"Come in darling, before your food gets cold" the woman tells her.

Emilie wasn't sure what was going on but she obliged and walked over to the empty chair and sat in it. She eyed everyone not understanding why she was there. They all looked familiar to her but she couldn't quite put her finger where she's seen them.

"So I was thinking we get a head start on planning our annual summer bash. The Lockwoods are dying to try out our new hot tub and the pool is finally fixed up. I think this party will be out best one yet" the woman said.

"I agree. We should start planning. I've been meaning to get that grill fired up and ready to go. What do you think Emmett? Couple of steaks? Burgers?" The man asked.

"Sounds great dad. The guys are huge fans of our barbecues"

"Well that settles it then. What do you think Em? You've been awfully quiet this morning. Will we be seeing the girls at the party?" The woman asked.

Emilie stared at the woman who was now looking at her straight in the eyes. Similar blue eyes on blue eyes. The woman's red lips were spread in a serene smile and all Emilie could feel from her was peace. Upon scanning her face Emilie came to the realization who this woman was.

"Mom" she whispered.

"Sweetie, are you feeling alright ?" Her mother asked.

Emilie couldn't answer. Her chest felt tight and she found it hard to breathe. She wondered who was making loud breathing sounds but realized she was the one, she was hyperventilating.

"Honey we need to call a doctor, she's turning blue" her father said urgently.

Emilie felt herself fall out from her chair and was now on the floor. She watched as her mother jumped out from hers and it was then she realized that her mother's clothes had changed- she was wearing an old styled corseted dress.

"Josette! Breathe!" Her mother cried.

Emilie frowned wondering why her mother called her that but couldn't say anything since her throat was closing up.