Facing monsters

Emilie~~~

Emilie~~~

It was a regular hot summer night, we had just finished eating dinner. As always, I was now in the comfort of our small library, one of my favorite rooms in the house. Since school was out I wasn't worried about going to bed early and took this as my chance to continue the book I was currently reading. Bram Stokers Dracula.

"If you had the chance, would you turn into a vampire ?" I hear a voice and I look up to see my brother standing in the doorway and I scoff.

"Definitely not and they are not real" I say pointedly before looking at the page I was on.

"But, what if they were? Would you do it, if you had that chance to be immortal ?" He asked me.

His question took me by surprise, my brother was always the one making fun of me for reading books of the supernatural like vampires, witches and werewolves. Sure he was always interested in ghost stories and even went to a few old abandoned places with his friends to seek out some spirits, but in the end it was all for fun. He was always a non-believer and so am I.

"I uh. Honestly no. I couldn't ever do that. I couldn't bear the thought of watching everyone I love grow old and die while I stay young" I explain.

"Yeah. Right. Well, I'm gonna call it a night. I'll see you tomorrow sis" my brother say before leaving the room.

'What made him so interested in vampires all of a sudden?' I thought to myself...

The sound of my alarm was what snapped me from my memory. I had been awake since three o'clock this morning and couldn't bother with sleep at all. It has been three days since the truth had come out about Kol and practically everyone I know. My anxiety had returned. I tried so hard to keep this from Rachel and leaving the comfort of my home terrified me, hence why I haven't been in school.

How can I face all of this?

After a few more minutes of sitting in bed I decided to get up, I needed to get up. My body ached from laying in bed for three days and my bones cracked and popped as I did stretches. I did my usual routine and before I knew it I was going down the stairs and walking into the kitchen.

Rachel gave me a surprised look as she was about to pour some tea into a cup. The familiar herbal smell filled my nose and I instantly craved the hot drink as if it was calling to me.

"I'll take a cup" I say realizing I was just standing there. I set my school bag down on the bar stool and leaned against the counter.

"I was just about to bring this up to you. How are you feeling?" Rachel asked as she handed me the cup.