Chapter 6: Summer Pool and Volleyball

My heart leapt in my throat when I heard Leo's voice on my answering machine the following morning.

"Hello?" I answered phone the minute I knew it was him.

"Hey Piper. Nilah said it was okay if we got a pool for her yard. It's just the inflatable kind, but Tobey and I are going to the store to pick one out. Do you want to come with us?"

"Yeah, how soon are you leaving?" I was literally still in my pajamas, my hair a frizzy mess.

"How long does it take you to get ready?" I could hear his smirk on the other line.

"Um... around 2 hours? I mean, if I do makeup and my hair and..."

"Piper, you don't have to do all that. You're beautiful just the way you are."

I could already feel my cheeks heating up as I smiled a little silly. "Nah, I think I should still get ready."

"Can I come over?"

"Why would you come over?" I bit my lower lip as I paced in the living room, careful not to stretch the cord on the phone too far.

"I just..."

"Because he wanted to see you. He's been talking about you all morning," Tobey interrupted, my face on fire as I heard rustling as Leo fought him off.

"Maybe he's right, but I haven't been talking about you all morning."

"Oh right, in your sleep doesn't count. What was your dream about Piper about," his best friend cut in again.

"Shut up," Leo said, more sounds in the background before he was back in control of the phone.

"You can come over if you want, Leo. That's okay," I told him.

"Thanks. See? It's that easy, Tobey. We're just friends." Every time he emphasized that word it made a pang go through my heart, but I did my best not to dwell on it.

In a matter of minutes, Leo was standing outside my bathroom before just sitting on a chair at the kitchen table right next to it.

"No offense, but I'm glad you're not watching me anymore. It's hard to do my makeup when you are," I giggled, finally able to apply the waterproof, black mascara properly.

He chuckled lowly as the house grew quiet, my parents gone at work already.

"You can have a banana or something if you want. We never eat them fast enough."

"Alright." I heard him walking over to get one of the yellow fruits, hurriedly straightening my hair.

"Okay, I'm about ready. I just need to put my hair up into a ponytail and I will be good to go... Where's Tobey by the way?"

"He's waiting outside. He didn't really want to come in." I accidentally dropped the ponytail in my hands, the hair tie still around my wrist. The reason was Leo was suddenly next to me, gazing at me through the long mirror above the sink counter.

"Here, let me help," Leo kindly offered, bunching all of my hair together, carefully brushing out the strands that were out of place. I felt my neck growing hot as he pulled it up high enough, using my hair tie to keep it there. When he was finished I felt him brush his fingers against the back of my neck. "Do you like that?"

"Huh," I suddenly asked, snapping back to reality. What did he mean by that?

"Do you like how your ponytail looks?"

"Oh, y-y-yeah of course. You're good with hair, but I mean that's not surprising, considering you have some of the best hair ever-" I gasped as I laughed nervously, falling against his chest after whipping around. His back was pressed against the wall as he grinned down at me. "So, um, do you think you'll ever get your hair cut? I mean, it's amazing how it is! I just wondered if you ever wanted a change..." His eyes were flickering to my lips as I held my breath, wondering how many times we would get interrupted until he might make a move. My question was answered though when Tobey's voice rang throughout the house.