Chapter 27: Santa Monica Pier

LEO'S POV:
Piper kept squeezing my hand repeatedly in the backseat of the car. Tobey was driving while my mom was on the passenger's side.

"So, Piper, do you have a career in mind since you're out of school," my mom spoke up.

I looked over at Piper, who still appeared terrified as Tobey changed lanes in between the long line up.

"Um... I'm not sure what profession I want yet. I thought astronomy would be fun, but I think I would suck at the math." She gasped softly when Tobey slammed on the brakes, some idiot cutting us off.

"Fucking bastard," Tobey muttered, holding up his middle finger before continuing on.

"Maybe Leo could help you with it," my mom suggested.

"Mom... You know I was only mediocre in all my subjects, except for biology."

"Yes, but you're smart, Leo. You got a high IQ score, and you did get your GED for high school."

I tensed when Piper buried her nose against my shoulder, her eyes squeezed shut as Tobey sped up for a moment to get past all of the blocked up traffic.

"Finally," Tobey sighed, the road fairly clear as we cruised along the highway.

"You want to go to college to be an astronomer, baby," I whispered to Piper, her peeking up at me as she smiled lightly.

"Are you sure? We just got married, and I probably would have to start soon. I mean, it can take up to 10 years for that, I think." She bit her lower lip as I brushed a loose strand of hair from her face.

"Baby, you can be in college for 20 years if you need to be. I don't care. I'm going to be there for you and support you the whole way."

"I don't know, Leo... This is crazy. I never thought of trying to make this a reality. I just don't think I can do it."

"Just try it? Huh? I don't want you to get to the end of your life with any regrets. I believe in you, Piper."

She blushed as she kissed my lips gently, causing me to melt into her affection. "I love you, Leo. I really do." She was touching the back of my neck, swiping her thumb over it.

"I know you do, darling. I love you too. So much, and I'll relearn Calculus just to help you out."

She giggled as I grinned, kissing her nose before brushing my lips up to her forehead, just kissing every available area on her face. I didn't even care if anyone was watching us, because I was so happy.

"You're going to be the prettiest astronomer in the world. You're already the sun."

"Stop it, Leo...," she whined quietly, her face bright red.

"I mean it. You're everything, Piper. You're everything to me."

"Leo... You know what?" Her face suddenly brightened as she sat up a bit more, her seatbelt stretched since she was leaning over to me.

"What?" I chuckled lowly as my eyes danced between her warm brown.

"It does make sense if I'm an astronomer, because I married a star."

I laughed out loud briefly before pulling her close by the side, my arm draped over her shoulders. "You are so cheesy."

"Not any cheesier than you," she half smirked.

"You love it," I stated.

"How do you know?" She cocked her head as a grin stretched across my lips.

"Because I love it about you."

She reached forward and I naturally closed the gap, our lips moving in perfect sync as I subtly slipped my tongue inside. We kept it classy and discreet as I held her hand with mine up to the side of our faces. I didn't want my mom to see us making out like this, but man, was Piper addicting. I wanted to just lie her down on the seat and... I broke for air to calm myself, not wanting to get too worked up.