Chapter 16: Surprise Birthday Party

I giggled as I stood on the couch in my socks, Leo right beside me in his. We were currently hanging up a Happy Birthday banner for Tobey's surprise birthday party, but I kept sinking into the cushions.

"I don't think this is going to work, Leo. You're like a whole foot taller than me, and it's hard to get the words as high as you." I stretched further but almost fell backwards, freaking out as my heart pounded. I got on my tip toes again and I really did start to fall, everything happening so fast I could barely process it. Leo had dropped the sign and grabbed me in his arms, pulling me close as we stood next to each other. I could feel his own heart pounding in his chest as my cheek leaned against it.

"Babe, I think I should do this by myself. I'll figure it out. Okay?" He looked down and into my brown orbs as I mustered a weak smile.

"Okay, I wish I could help though." A sad smile crossed my own lips as I felt disappointed.

"I know, but I don't want you getting hurt. Fuck, Piper. When you almost fell I nearly had a heart attack. I love you, baby."

"I love you too, and if I haven't said it before, I love it when you call me, baby. It just has this really nice ring to it."

"Yeah. Do you like it better than, babe?" He tilted his head as I admired his ocean eyes shining.

"I think I do. I didn't realize it until now, but yeah."

"I'll keep that in mind," he winked, pecking my lips before helping me to the floor. I hugged myself as I strained my neck to watch him fighting with the decoration. Eventually he got it attached to the wall just right, both of us standing back to admire his work. My eyes wandered around the rest of the room, the summery colors of cerulean blue and yellow green on various things.

"How much time do we have before Nilah will be back with Tobey," I wondered, glancing at the clock as Leo did the same, chewing on his lower lip.

"I think about two hours. That will give us time to get the grill started." He bit on his nails a little before heading to the kitchen. He went ahead and washed his hands before grabbing the package of uncooked hotdogs, sausage, and pre-made hamburger patties. Soon we were outdoors and I was comfortable on a lawn chair as he lit the charcoal. I coughed a bit as the wind blew the smoke in my direction, almost squealing when Leo came over to move my seat with me in it.

"Leo," I exclaimed, laughter beneath the surface as he took me to a better location. "Thank you." I reached up just as he was leaving, clearing my throat as I gave him a pout.

"Sorry, baby," he said, returning to lean down and meet our lips.

"You were going to say babe, weren't you," I guessed with a knowing grin.

"Yeah, but I remembered what you told me." I blushed as he sent a wink in my direction, observing him manning the grill. I found myself standing any way to be by his side, him flipping a burger just then.

"What is it, baby," he slightly laughed as he looked over at me, his voice almost cracking, since he was trying to hold it in.

"You were going to say babe again, weren't you? Huh? Huh?" I started playfully tickling him, causing him to laugh out loud.

"Babe-baby! I- Stop! I have to flip the burgers before they burn," he got out as he was filled with laughter.

"I don't think so. I want you all to myself."

"Do you want to ruin Tobey's party," he gasped, trying to push me away but failing, since he was being too careful about it.

"No, but we've been working hard all day, and I just want to spend time with you."