Chapter 16: Lies?

The word hardly leaves my throat when I question Lorenzo, who is being cryptic, leaving me curious and confuse, "Who?"

He looks me in the eyes and I prepare myself. "Alex."

I wait on him to tell me the last name, one that is different from the only Alex I know. It can't be him, my stepdad?

It just can't be. "Alex, who?" I continue looking at Lorenzo with my eyebrows crease, waiting on him to tell me something I wanted to hear, but his face explicates it all, that the person is named Alex, that I knew. I try not to believe and I await more answers from him, growing anxious.

"Alex Lodge, your stepdad-" I abruptly get from his lap, looking at him with wide eyes, shaking my head in disbelief.

The words processes and more disbelief fills me. This can not be right.

"But....he treats me so good....I-I haven't done anything to him for him to do this to me," Lorenzo stands before me while I think of anything I could've done to him, and I can't think of any.

"You can never know who is going to turn their backs on you and become your enemy... that's why you don't trust anyone...." He places his hand on my shoulder to calm me, but I am far from that.

This can't be right. Alex... He's... Oh, my God, shit! You can not trust anyone anymore.

This is... this is unbelievable.

"He was so sweet to me...." I trail off, staring in disbelief with my eyes widen with shock, my entire body turning pale.

"And now he's paying for you to be dead," Lorenzo places his hands on my face forcing me to look at him because my eyes are all over the place in a panic, horror and shock.

"I-I need to get my mother," I finally look at him. "We need to get my mother from him, Lorenzo! He's...he's going to hurt her, we-we have to go get her!" My voice is raised, and it is in dreadful, my hands shaking uncontrollably, and my stomach contracting tightly.

"Aria?!" When he shouts my name, I snap myself back to reality, a bit calm, my eyes turning to look into his eyes while he stares into mine with concern. "Your mother will be fine," he reassures me, and I shake my head, unable to control the sobs that leaves me while looking at him. "Yes, she will," he tells me, seriously.

"No, Lorenzo, if he's willing to go this far to kill me, what will he do to my mother?!" He treats me as his own, his daughter, and if he's willing to kill me, why won't he kill my mother? His wife!

I can't lose her! I love my mother. She's my world. "If he wanted her dead, he would've killed her already, Kitten-" no, no!

I can't swallow as my breathing becomes ragged, my throat parching.

"Why are you so sure he didn't kill her already!" I hope he didn't, but what if he did! No one knows what happened or what's happening at this moment.

"You need to trust me!"

Trust him? Huh! He's my freaking abductor! He got paid to kill me, and why now when I asked who wants me dead, he was willing to say when he never dared to tell me in the first place.

Why didn't he fucking tell me before I asked?! And how can I even trust him when he's a murder and a freaking kidnapper! I can not trust anyone.

Fuck!

"Trust you!" I scoff, glaring at him, shaking my head with rage and disbelief. "You're no different from him or even them!" As soon as the words left my mouth impulsively, I regret it. Shit. What have I done? "I-I... I am sorry," I reach towards his face so that I can touch his cheeks, his eyes narrowing down at me unbelievably and with a glimpse of rage. "I didn't mean it, I am sorry, Lorenzo-" he grabs my hands from his cheeks and pushes them back to me. "Please, I didn't mean that," I tell him with regret and hurt.

Shit! Fuck, I am so stupid.

"Stop denying what you said because that's exactly what you meant!" He turns around then storms away from me lividly.

Why did I say that?! I am so stupid! He was only trying to help me, and now I fucked things up! He's the only person I have to protect me. He's the only person I have left besides my mother.

I look at him with remorse and hope. "Look, I was angry, okay?" He storms his way towards the door, not turning to look at me, it pains me.

"Now I am!" He shouts coldly, before he storms out, slamming the door after him, causing me to jerk when it closed with a loud bang.

"Lorenzo!" I yell after him. "Don't leave me here!" I didn't mean what I said, and why would he leave me here!

I place my hand to my head, groaning. Fuck, I can be a bitch sometimes, and it hurts me that I can! And I would always hurt people.

I grab the card to our door, then place it inside my jeans pocket before I open the door and go after him. I hurt him when I said those words, and I can't wrong him to be mad at me even though I didn't mean any of it. They all slipped out of anger.

I get so impulsive when I'm angry, so I say whatever comes to mind without even thinking about it.

When I got inside the hallway, he's already gone. He must have already gotten inside the elevator.

What I am doing is risky, but I have to go after him because he didn't deserve what I said. He deserves better for what he did for me for the last few days. And even though I am worried about my mother, I tried to think about what Lorenzo said and hope that she's not in danger.

I press the button of the elevator and go inside when the door opens. I press the button to close the door when I see a guy running towards me.

"Hold the door!" He yells, but I am too petrify from what happened earlier to trust anyone, so I let the door closes. I couldn't risk that, and I don't know who he is.

The elevator stops and opens, and I run out of it at the same time I see Lorenzo storm through the door, slamming into a guy's shoulder, and didn't look back to see if he's okay. The guy starts arguing, but Lorenzo continues walking over to his car then gets inside.

If I am going to follow him, I'll need a car. I wonder if the receptionist will allow me to borrow hers.

I walk over to her pleadingly. "I know this is weird, but can I borrow your car?" She lifts her head from her computer to look at me.

"Mrs. Fernández," She smiles.

I shake my head, "No, I am Aria Lanes," I tell her, considering she's confusing me with someone else.

"You're Mrs. Fernández-" Didn't I just tell her my name? What is wrong with her? I don't have time for this. I need to go after Lorenzo before I lose him.

"No, I...-"

"...sir, Fernández wife, of course, you can borrow my car. The boss wouldn't be pleased if I didn't," I look at her confusingly, the boss? I haven't met the boss. Who is the boss?

What is she talking about? Why is she calling me Mrs. Fernández?

"Who is Mr. Fernández?" I question.

"Our boss, your husband Aria Lanes Fernández," she cocks her head to the side as if she expects me to know who she's talking about.

The model height melanin lady with natural short kinky hair continues smiling at me as she watches my reaction, and all I show is confusion and lack of explanation.

"Tell me his full name, please, and what is he the boss of?" Lorenzo gave us wrong names to hide our identity and lied about being a boss?

"Lorenzo Fernández, the owner of Elite Suites and many more estates and buildings," my mouth literally drops open with wide eyes as I look at the lady astound and shook.

"What?" I step back.