Chapter 34: Truth be told

"Mom-mom, what are you talking about?" I ask, confused and curious, as I rub the cuff against the bedboard, hoping it will loosen or break, my heart beating faster, foreseeing what potentially insidious plan my mother may have in store for me, knowing it won't be good.

"Mom?" I am taken aback as she laughs bitterly, shaking her head, leaving me staring at her, completely stunned and confused. "Oh, you think I am your biological mother?" She laughs. "No, darling, we are not biologically related in any way, despite what the papers may say." The shock of her words leaves me wide-eyed and desperate for clarification.

"W-what...?" My voice stutters out, the pounding of my heart increasing, desiring answers.

With a bitter chuckle, she explains in a cold tone, "Nineteen years ago, I adopted you for a specific purpose." The words hit me like heavy rock to the face, catching me off guard and leaving me unprepared.

She adopt me?

My mouth falls open in shock and disbelief.

Despite hearing her words, I struggle to process the information and make sense of it all, feeling a mix of confusion and terror as my mind races with questions, realizing that I need answers to understand what is happening.

I have known her my entire life. We also look alike...

"What?" I manage to whisper hesitantly, trying to grasp the situation.

With a contemptuous expression, she smirks at me, my mouth slightly agape as she reveals her true intentions, "All I wanted was the money your biological parents left behind when they passed away." My stomach tightens at her shocking words as I struggle to speak, my voice trembling in my throat.

"I would have earned a decent sum by looking after you, but when you turned eighteen, all the inheritance meant for me was handed over to you," she puts down her gun, and I let out a sigh of relief, although still feeling puzzled.

"I-I never got a-any money," I mumble, not wanting her to get mad and kill me, knowing there is a possibility.

"Because I didn't tell you about it. It's lying around, and I can't lay a hand on it when that's all I want to do. Not to see your damn repulsive face!" She yells, shaking her head disgustedly at me.

My chest tightens at her words, "Y-you said y-you are not my mother, but w-why do we look alike?" I choke out, feeling tears streaming from my eyes.

How can't she be my mom? I question even when I believe her.

With a bitter chuckle, she informs me, "Oh, my dear, have you not heard of colorant? I colored my hair just to fit the role and achieve my goals!" As she looks at me, she breaks into cold laughter.

I am unable to recognize her as the person I once knew. She has undergone a significant change since the last time I encountered her. Her behavior is now characterized by recklessness, cruelty, and hostility, which is vastly different from her previous demeanor.

I sigh, sensing my hands getting weary from coating the cuff against the board. "I-I don't understand why you're even doing this?" I ask, utterly confused and fearful for my life, my posture quivering uncontrollably, knowing I could die and never see Lorenzo again.

He's the only person that truly cares for me.

"Because you're still alive. You didn't die, so I can't get your money. Aria, if you die, I will be receiving all your assets," she explains solemnly, staring me dead in the eyes, her words making my stomach contract, fear making me feel nauseating.

I try controlling my uncontrollable tears, not wanting her to see me weak, but it is impossible when I could lose my life. "W-why? You're already wealthy from Alex..." I trail off, knowing that he's dead. The man that I love killed him for me.