miss americana & the heartbreak prince pt.7

"You know, I'm still embarrassed that I passed out on my first mission." Mr. Stark—Tony just laughs at that. "I'm serious. I was trying so hard to make a good impression, and I ended up passing out before I could do that much."

"It's okay, kid." He replies, still focused on the work in front of him. "Don't beat yourself up about it. I mean, you held your own against two super soldiers. I think that's pretty impressive."

"Is that why you let me keep the suit? And why you invited me to work here?"

"Partly." I wait for more, but he doesn't seem willing to offer anything more. It's just the classic rock and tinkering. I want to ask him more questions, but I've learned that I can't push too much.

Right now, I just decide to gather up the courage to bring up my new idea to Tony. I've been working on it since the fight, but I wanted to make sure I had all the details worked out first. I mean, if I'm gonna pitch an idea to him, I want to make sure it's perfect.

"So, um, Tony?" My voice is shaky and nervous, despite my best efforts to keep it otherwise, and Tony seems to pick up on it judging by the look on his face. "Can I show you an idea I had? It's, um—it's for Rhodey."

He crosses his arms and leans against the work table. My hands shake as I wait for him to say something—anything. "Okay, yeah. It's part of why you're here."

I meekly smile in appreciation. Tony's been incredibly supportive in hearing my ideas, but I can't help but get overwhelmed and nervous. "So, I've been reading up on spinal damage. I had to ask my Mom a ton of questions to understand a lot of it, but I was trying to see if there was a way to repair the damaged nerves, but as you probably guessed, I didn't get very far."

"Trust me, I think we've got a ways to go before we can accomplish that." He pauses and looks at me. "So, what did you come up with?"

"A modified design of the legs on the Iron suits." I reply and pull out my notebook. "Currently, this is what Rhodey is wearing on a daily basis. The thing is, while it's great for fighting, it's not very practical for daily use."

"You calling my design bulky?" Tony asks, and the smile on his face reminds me he's only teasing. "It's okay. Rhodey's been on my ass about it being took much."

"Yeah, he's mentioned it before." I flip the page to another series of sketches. "Which is why I came up with these. Same principle, same supports, but only a fraction of the parts required." I continue to explain and show the mechanics behind it.

All the while, he just listens and nods. I stand there with my heart lodged in my throat as he thinks it over. "It could probably use some modifications, but I think it could work."

"Really?" I bounce on my feet with excitement. Tony just nods with a smile.

"You did good, kid." He says and clears a screen. "We should get started on it, but I just remembered I was going to make a call to your boyfriend."

"Oh, thank goodness. He won't admit it; but he's been doing extra patrols without me to try and make you proud."

"Well, he's listened since I told him to drop this weapons dealer case, which I know probably wasn't easy. He deserves to know he's done a good job. Especially considering what he did in D.C." I nod in understanding.

The Vulture has been bugging him since he first encountered him. It still kills me that I wasn't there. I was supposed to go to the party with him and Ned. I was supposed to be there to help him, but I wasn't.

Nope, I was home with the worst flu of my entire life, and Peter nearly got killed. He's said it a million times it's not my fault. But I still feel guilty.