daphne blue pt.1 {t.h.}

A/N: This series is inspired by the song attached— Daphne Blue by the Band Camino. It's one of my favorite songs to jam out to, and when I had this random idea. All the songs mentioned in this series are not mine, they belong to the original creators—which in this case will be the Band Camino. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it (and listen to the song cause it's awesome.)

The party's in full swing, which makes me smile as I adjust the guitar strap on my shoulder. It still feels strange to be singing at my best friend's party, but hey, she asked all her musician friends to play a short set. Usually, I'd be fine. I play in front of sold out arenas and crowds all the time, yet this small party has me all jittery.

"And now, it's my pleasure to introduce my dear friend, Y/N." Zendaya says and motions toward where I'm standing at the side of the stage.

I try to hide my nerves behind a smile as I step up to the mic, my classic Daphne Blue guitar in hand. The small crowd cheers as I pluck the strings as I talk. "Thank you for that beautiful introduction, Z. I'm glad to be here with all you lovely people. How would you all feel about testing the waters of my new song?" Another round of applause and scattered cheers, the dominant one form Zendaya. "Alright then! This one's called 'I Spent Too Much Time In My Room.'"

My fingers play the notes that have grown so familiar over the years, and the feelings that created begin to swell back up to the surface. I don't know why I decided to play this song. It's always been something I played for me—in the solace of my room. Of course, Z just had to overhear me play it one day. So she insisted I play it tonight.

"I spend too much time in my room. I keep too many secrets from you," I sing through the feelings clouding my head. "I like to be alone, but it's bad for me. 'Cause, I spend too much time in my room."

The room goes quiet as people just listen. It makes me crack a soft smile. I was always told I had a gift—that I could make people really, truly listen and feel. It's what got me into music—and more recently acting—in the first place. I needed an outlet for my emotions and wanted others to know that they weren't alone in this crazy world.

The thoughts of him cloud my head. It's been years, but he still makes the random appearance every once in a while. Probably doesn't help that every single popular song I've written was about him. I guess people are right when they say you don't forget your first love—even if he shattered your heart years ago.

"Sometimes I still think about you. I don't tell you all the things I used to." I let the music just flow until it approaches the close. "Don't like to admit that it's bad for me, but I spend too much time in my room."

The last chord hangs in their air for a second before it breaks. Z starts with a raucous cheer. I open my eyes and get hit in the gut with the reminder that this was an actual performance. "Thank you, guys. How about we get the guys up here so we can really get this party started."

"Play Daphne Blue!" Someone in the crowd shouts, which ears a roar of agreement.

"It's like you read my mind." I tease and count the band in to start the song. A genuine, excited grin tugs at my lips as Matt and I both play our parts, which gets everyone jumping and dancing around. It's probably my favorite parts about being a performer—seeing people enjoy and get lost in the music, movie, or anything really. Once the song finishes, I can't stop the soft smile on my face. "That's all for me, but party on!"

Zendaya is waiting for me the moment I hop off the stage. "That was amazing." She cheers as the next performer starts their set. "Have I told you lately how cool and talented you are?"

"Yeah, but it never hurts to remind me." I tease as I put my guitar in it's case. "I'm gonna go grab a drink. Catch up later, yeah?"

"Of course! Go have fun, dance, enjoy yourself!" She nudges me forward with a teasing grin. It's been a major topic of discussion in our friendship. I've always been a private person, despite being famous and all, and Zendaya's one of the few people to help me break out of my comfort zone every once in a while. It's probably one of her key motives for inviting me tonight.