rules of heartbreak pt.3

I wish I could say that Tom wasn't proving me wrong in every way, but I can't. Because he is.

It's been nearly two weeks since our 'first date' at the old diner, and after I made my little 'prove it' taunt, Tom has really stepped up to the plate. It doesn't feel fake like it did at the start. I don't feel the need to flinch or pull away when he takes my hand or makes any form of contact.

"Hello, darling." He whispers as he leans against the lockers next to mine. "Wait for a second," he pauses as a smirk overtakes his features, "did you steal my beanie again?"

I roll my eyes at him as I shut my locker and adjust my books in my arms. "What do you mean 'again'? I've never stolen your beanie before, but you left it at Haz's and my ears were cold. Plus, I'm fairly sure Charlotte stole mine, so I needed something."

Tom just smiles softly. The corners of his lips barely turning up as he laces his fingers through mine like always when he walks me to class. "Well, in that case, keep it. It looks better on you anyway."

I try not to blush at the gesture, but I can't stop the way my heart keeps trying to race out of my chest. "So, what are you up to today? You never walk me to final period unless you want something." I smirk and raise an eyebrow as he falters in his steps.

"Ugh," He sighs and tosses his head back, "Sometimes I hate that you know me so well."

"Perks of 'dating' me, I suppose." I tease with a growing smirk. "But you know, you could always admit that you love it—and by extension me."

"Not quite, love." He retorts and turns to me as we stop just outside my class. "I was going to tell you that Jack is having a party tonight, and I really want to go."

"That creepy div? No way, there's no way I'm going." I retort with a crinkled up nose. "Do you know just how many times that guy has tried to—I don't even want to know—with me?"

Tom juts out his lower lip in a sad attempt at a pout. "But, babe, this time you'll have me there. I'll be with you the whole time. It's only a party. Plus, I think there was something about going to parties together in the contract."

"No, there most certainly wasn't. I would remember because I'm not a fan of grimy house parties. Why do you even want to go so badly?"

"What? Can't a guy just want to spend a night with his girl and best mates?" He inquires as he steps forward and closes the space between us seeing as how I have no escape. "Please, just for a little bit, and once you want to leave we will."

I let out a sigh, knowing there's no way I'm going to talk him out of this. Not to mention, I don't know how much closer I can stand him being before I snap—either good or bad it won't be pretty. So I just roll my eyes and say, "Fine, but you owe me, Holland. Big time."

He just grins like a child with a new toy as he presses a kiss to my forehead. "Thank you, love. I promise it will be fun." When he pulls away, it's as if he suddenly realizes just how close we are, and his eyes drill into mine. A part of me wants to break away in some irrational fear that he'll be able to see my secrets. But I can't.

Especially when his deep brown eyes flick down to my lips for just a fraction of a second. My palms grow slick and hands shake. I can't quite tell if he's leaning in closer, or it's just the feeling of his breath on my lips driving me insane. But a part of me doesn't hate it.

The warning bell rings and startles us out of the nearly perfect moment. "I should head in. Try not to be late, Holland. You can pick me up at Haz's around 7?"

"Sounds great. I'll see you then, love." He smiles, but it doesn't quite reach his eyes, which are clouded with emotions. Tom presses a lingering kiss to my cheek before regaining a real smile and running off to his classes.