silence pt.2

I lay back against the top bunk of Peter's bed. One of May's non-negotiable rules for my sleepovers is that we must sleep in separate beds. Except, there are times like now. It's too hard to sleep when the Noise took too much of a hold.

A shiver traces over my skin as the cold metal of the bunkbed's ladder touches my feet, but at this point, I'm starting to get accustomed to it. Peter barely stirs as I settle myself on the floor next to his bed. He always hates it when I do this—when I just lay on the floor and listen to him sleep. I relish in the silence he brings with his presence. It's the closest thing I've known to peace my whole life.

"What are you doing on the floor?" Peter's groggy voice startles me.

I move to hug the pillow against my chest and try to hide myself from his view. "Nothing." I lie, and he knows it as he props himself up on an elbow to watch me. "I couldn't sleep."

Peter's eyes soften at the comment, and he spreads his arms out as he whispers. "Come here."

"But Aunt May will—" I try to protest, but he cuts me off by picking me from the floor and setting me on the bed. "I don't want you to get into trouble."

"She'll understand. Trust me, she knows how bad these nights can get." I bite back the building tears as Peter pulls the covers over our shoulders. "Hey, you're going to get better. I promise—we're going to find a way."

"Maybe it's time we talk about—" I shrink when Peter's head instantly snaps to me, "—about going to the Sanctum or—or trying the plans that he left."

"If it's what you want." He lets out a heavy sigh and brushes a thumb over my cheekbone to wipe the stray tears. It's comforting like coming home after a long day to fall into your bed. Except, this is better. This feels like home and peace.

"I don't, but we're running out of options. It hurts so much when it happens, and I can't keep putting you through this either." Now, I'm practically sobbing, but Peter merely pulls me tighter into his chest. "I wanna stop hurting people. I wanna stop hurting myself and you."

"You aren't hurting me." His lips move against my forehead before he presses a feathery kiss to the warm skin. "Now try to sleep. We can talk about it in the morning."

I don't want to fall asleep, but the sound of Peter's heartbeat is like a perfect lullaby. It's the only time I really can rest. Every other time is interrupted or infused with the Noise at all times. His fingers continue to run through my hair in the gentlest way, and I can't help but smile as I drift off to sleep.

It feels like only minutes before Peter's soft whispers wake me up. "Hey, Y/N. May made breakfast." I grumble and nuzzle my face deeper into his chest. "C'mon, she made your favorite."

"Not hungry." I whisper, which is true. Now in the clear-headed silence, I can recall a little bit more of what happened before Peter came and stopped me. My arms retract from him as I curl in on myself.

"Babe, please, you need to eat something. I know you haven't been eating much since the attacks started worsening, but you have to take care of yourself." His voice drops down to a barely audible whisper. "Please, for me."

"It just hurts." I mumble and press my palms over my ears as the stress and sudden emotions make the Noise louder. Tears build in my eyes as I dare to face him. "It hurts all the time, and I can't stop it. The only time it lessens is when you're around."

"Please, come get something to eat, and then we're going out."

"Where?"

"We're going to see if there's someone out there who can help." I sit up at his words and watch in bewilderment. "As much as I don't want to, I'm taking you to the Sanctum."

"Are you sure? He might not even be there or agree to help me."

Peter's hand gently hold my face and traces his thumbs over my cheeks to wipe the tears. "If he doesn't, then we'll camp out there until he does, or we'll track down Wanda to see if she has any ideas, or we can see if we can find anything in—in Mr. Stark's research. Because I've told you this a hundred times, and I'll tell you a hundred times more. I love you, Y/N, and I will do anything to make sure you're happy and healthy."

I nuzzle my face into his hands and lean forward to press a kiss to his lips. "I love you too, Peter Parker, and I don't know how or what I did to deserve you."

"You never had to do anything. You're the one that I don't deserve." I let out a harsh chuckle. Even after all this time and trials, Peter still knows how to make my heart swell with love. He always knows how to make me feel like a person again.

When Tony took me in, I didn't think I could trust anyone again—much less fall in love. My whole life before then I had been fighting. There was never a moment's peace after my mom just left me on my own. I was left as a kid on the street with crazy abilities and nothing to her name. Then Tony found me and worked to fix the cracks he had mirrored in me.

It was the epitome of a fresh start. I worked hard to hone my abilities, to open up to people, and to finally feel like a normal person. Then I met Peter, and for the first time, I knew what comfort was to have someone to call my own—who I loved and loved me in return.

I let out a sigh and nod. "I'll get dressed. Then we can eat and head out." Peter softly smiles and presses a gentle kiss to my forehead, but I find myself in need of more as I grab his face and press my lips against his. "Alright, I'm actually going to get up now."

"Okay, I'll let May know to start your waffles."

"Pete?" He stops halfway out the door to turn back to me, "I love you."

"I love you too, Y/N, until the very end." My heart swells at the giddy smile on his face, and I feel like I can face anything if I know that I'll see that smile again. It also makes the prospect of facing Strange again a little less terrifying.

But, I guess everything is a little bit easier with someone you love by your side.