corsets and courtships pt. 2

The Societatem beats and thrives in time with my own heartbeat. It's my main comfort since I got here, and I love to watch the harmony and unity of the nation presented here. People mingle, laugh, and live here. So much different from the hushed gatherings in Astoria.

Still, even the best things can become overbearing. Mostly when Lady Karina decides to lecture me on the proper etiquette and preparation of a Grand Duchess for marriage. The mere sound of her voice sends nails right into my skull.

"Excuse me," Speaking of the devil. Lady Karina's voice echoes in the grand hall, "have you seen Grand Duchess Y/N?"

I stand up from my seat, slip into the rushing crowd, and run out into the fields. No one notices me or makes assumptions about my position. It's the perks of wearing a plain dress instead of the extravagant garb Lady Karina tries to force on me.

My corset presses against my ribs with each deep breath. Out here is one of the few places I feel free enough to breathe properly.

There's a story my aunt used to tell Daya and I when we were young. A tale of two lovers from bordering kingdoms—before the treaty that bound us together. It was back when the walls kept the countries apart, but the two nobles found a way to stay together.

It's said that they met out in these forests. The girl was crying, because she had lost someone close to her. The boy was out on a walk and heard a cry from over the wall. And according to the tale, the pair would meet at the same spot almost every day to talk and remind each other of the good that existed.

Legend has it that their love for each other was so strong and their words so deep, that the wall started to chip away. One day, it crumbled entirely, which was the foundation for the treaty that began the unity of the Five Kingdoms.

The story always made my heart swell in hope. Because, despite everyone wanting to see me as nothing more than abrasive and uncaring; I've always wanted to find a love like that. The kind that breaks down walls and runs deeper than titles, looks, or even borders.

"The love that runs stupid deep." I verbally end the thought and allow my fingers to brush over the bark of the slowly clustering trees.

"Well, that's poetic." A voice calls out and startles me. I spin on my heels, fingers reaching to the hidden pocket in my corset for my knife. "Sorry, probably shouldn't have snuck up on you."

"And you probably should introduce yourself before taking another step." I warn and ready myself for whatever may come. "I'm not exactly the kind to trust strangers in the woods."

The boy chuckles; a brown curl falling in his face. "Yes, you're right. I should introduce myself." He pauses but doesn't say anything. I raise an eyebrow and cross my arms across my corset. "Impatient much."

"I'm often told it's one of the many flaws in my etiquette." I reply with a smile that matches his. "I'm still waiting."

"You might we waiting for a while, love." He smirks, amber eyes dancing in glee. "Care to walk with me?"

I turn the offer over in my mind. Of course, there are three options. One, go back inside to Lady Karina. Two, staying here and continuing on. Or three, accept his offer and satiate my curiosity, with the possibility of proper conversation.

"Fine, but you should know, I'm not to be trifled with. Trust me, it's in your best interest to remain on my good side." I tell him and take his arm with my other hand tucking the dagger back into my corset. "So what would you like to discuss, darling?"

The boy stumbles mid-step at the nickname, and I bite back a small smile at the victory. He watches me as we continue on and chat. I pretend not to notice his intent gaze, but even I can't deny the fluster I feel.

At every turn of the conversation, he finds a way to surprise me. All my usual comments and educated retorts are taken with dignity and countered. It's the first solid conversation I've ever recalled having with anyone besides Zendaya.

I barely notice as the time ticks by, and we loop back around to the Societatem. "Well, this has been enjoyable." I tell him and release his arm.

"It truly was, love. Shall we do this again?" He questions, sounding a little bit hopeful. It sends a dagger in my chest when I remember my forced arrangement.

"Actually, it wouldn't be entirely appropriate." I tell him and fiddle with my fingers. "To be truthful with you, I'm technically betrothed."

"Technically?" He questions, and I sigh and roughly explain the situation. "Well, allow me to be truthful. I don't see anything wrong with a conversation. There's nothing improper about two people talking. Is there?"

Damn, he's good. "Not entirely. Although, I'm sure the ladies of the courts would just adore to make us into another piece of juicy gossip to whisper at the next ball."

"So, we can have a chaperone if it makes you more comfortable. But I would hate to lose an excellent conversationalist. Although, no one ever comes out here. Apart from us the rest of the courts find the forests disgusting and drab." He speaks softly as we approach the doors back to society.

"I concede. You make a fair point." I take a step away from him and call over my shoulder. "Same time next week?"

"How about tomorrow?" He counters and steps forward. His lips quirk into a smile, and his brown eyes watch mine with hope.

"Are you really that starved for conversation?" I tease, but end up nodding anyway. "I'll see you tomorrow, darling."