rules of heartbreak pt.2

Tom's POV

I can't stop shaking. I have no idea why, except that maybe I'm the tiniest bit nervous. There's no reason I should be though. I mean, I've gone out with a bunch of girls and never gotten nervous; it's just Y/N.

But I suppose that's the trouble. It's Y/N.

It's the girl who had my attention since I met her at one of Haz's birthday parties years ago. We were different then. Still awkward, growing into our own skin, and not yet known for the trail of broken hearts we leave behind.

It's the girl who fascinates, angers, and terrifies me every moment she's around. I swear there are times I just can't get her out of my head. No matter how hard I try. No one know much about her beyond the trivial things, and I'm desperate to be the one person beside Haz who knows more. But then she inevitably makes some sassy, smart comment that sends me right into defensive mode.

Yet, beyond all that, she completely terrifies me. Because every time I meet her eyes—I swear, she sees me, and it stirs up feelings I'm still trying to forget.

I can't though. Especially not after that kiss on Monday.

It's been nearly a week since it happened, and I can't get it off my mind. Of course, I've kissed my fair share of girls, but this—this was different.

Maybe it's because she's been my crush since we were kids. Maybe it's because I've never admitted to myself that she's the one I've compared every past girlfriend too. Maybe it's because she's the cousin of my best mate, and he already made it very clear that if I decide to have something with her, everything else has to end. And maybe, maybe I'd be ready for that if she felt the same.

I force the thoughts aside as I try to fix my hair again in the hallway mirror for the hundredth time tonight. My brothers laugh at me from the living room. "So—who is it this week?" Harry asks with a smirk. Of course, he knows quite well who I'm going out with. He just can't refuse the opportunity to tease me about it.

"You know who." I snap and glare at him through the glass. He just smiles like he knows something more than I do, but I ignore it as I try to manage my unruly curls into something presentable. "Haz is gonna drop her off any minute now, and I better not hear you say anything stupid to her."

"Wow. She's got him nervous." Harry says over his shoulder to Sam, who now watches me with his full attention. "I'm guessing this time is different, huh?"

"I'm not gonna talk about this right now." The sound of car doors shutting draws my attention, and it sends my nerves into complete overdrive. I give up entirely on my hair and let it do its own thing as I grab my jacket and keys. "I don't know when I'll be back, but don't wait up."

My brother's jeers follow me as I rush to head out before they can cause any trouble. Harrison smiles and says something to Y/N, who stands beside him, leaning against the car and looking at her phone. But at Haz's words, she looks up at him with a smile and laughs in a way I've never heard before.

I almost have to pinch myself to remember this isn't a real date. We're both just playing a game—and she's clearly winning.

It's infuriating really, but I feel like I understand now what all the sorry blokes she's left behind meant. There's no routine with her; it's just Y/N wrapped up in her secrets and—seemingly—contradicting honesty. She's just magnetic.

I mean, we're going on a 'date,' yet she looks like she barely put any effort in with her beanie pulled low, favorite graphic tee, jeans she managed to tear herself, and the combat boots she practically lives in. Still, she looks amazing.