walking the wire pt.2

I take a deep breath and adjust my coat as I near the coffee shop. It's only a quarter to eight, but there's still the lingering worry that Peter won't show up on time—or you know, at all. So, I snuck out before my parents could pin me down and interrogate me over where I was going over breakfast.

Also, I might be the slightest bit nervous, or you know super nervous.

My fingers fiddle with my buttons as I slip inside, order a hot cocoa, and slide into an empty booth while I wait. It feels like my heart is going to hammer its way straight through my sternum, which is strange for me. I haven't felt like this in as long as I can remember.

I keep fiddling with the buttons on my coat. Should I have actually done something with my hair? Why did I think jeans would be okay? Will he even recognize me without all the makeup?

Those raging thoughts are hushed as Peter slides into the seat next to me. "Hey," He whispers with a beaming smile, "you came."

"Of course," I tell him and look down at my hands to hide the blush creeping up my cheeks, "I've actually been looking forward to it since you asked. It's not often that a cute boy comes to the show and stops by after to see me."

"Often?" He questions, seeming to get even more nervous.

"I just called you cute, and that's what you focus on?" I chuckle, and Peter quickly joins in. "And no, definitely not often. I'd say it's more like never, to be honest."

"Really?!" He questions, and I wipe my hands on my jeans and nod. "Sorry, it's just I—you're really pretty, and wow, I kind of wonder if I shouldn't have said that."

"I don't mind." The barista comes with my hot cocoa, and Peter quickly takes his order. "So—I'm not even sure where to start."

"Neither do I." He tells me with a chuckle. "Um—what's the circus like?"

"It's interesting, I guess? I haven't really known anything else." I take a sip of my cocoa and try to think of something to say. "My grandparents are actually the ones that started it as the family business. They kind of did the whole 'run away and join the circus' thing when they were my—well, our—age."

"Really?"

"Yeah. They learned the trade, had my mum, taught her how to perform trapeze, and eventually my gran taught me everything she knew." Peter watches me with a strange look on his face, and I bite my lip. "Sorry, I'm getting carried away. Tell me a bit about yourself?"

"There's not a whole lot of interesting stuff." He tells me with a meek smile, "Let me see, I've lived in Queens my whole life. My best friend Ned was the one that convinced me to go to the show, and I'm pretty sure he's going crazy with how much I've thanked him for dragging me along."

"I'm glad he did, Peter Parker from Queens." I whisper with a soft smile. My phone buzzes in my pocket, and I can't stop the sigh that escapes me when I see a text from my mom questioning where I went. "I'm—I'm really sorry, but I'm being summoned."

"Can I walk you back?" He asks with a hopeful look in his eye.

"Yeah, I'd like that." We both grab our cups, button up our coats, and head out. Our hands brush each other's as we walk along, and in a burst of confidence, I grab hold of his. There's a spark that traces across my skin at the contact, and I can't help but notice how right it feels.

Just being near him feels natural. I keep stealing glances at him and catching his eye. "So, maybe we can do this again sometime?" He asks after a long moment of walking along in a comfortable silence.

"I'd like that very much." I tell him as the circus tents come into sight. Shouts echo from the tent as everyone sets up, and I can hear my mother's voice calling for me in between it all. I look to Peter with a devious grin and whisper, "Meet me outside the tent tonight after the show?"