armor heart pt.3

Tom's POV

We've been traveling for almost two days now, and I feel like something's changing between Y/N—Xenia, and I. Maybe it's just my imagining things. I hope it's not, but there's still that sliver of doubt that I am.

"We're getting close." She calls and looks over her shoulder at me with that same unreadable expression on her face. "Before we get any farther, I need you to know that by bringing you here, I'm trusting you—a lot. Still, I need you to promise me you will never tell anyone where we went."

"I promise." I tell her with a smile, "I appreciate you trusting me, and I'll prove to you it's not misplaced."

"I'm already fairly certain it's not." She whispers with a half smile. "Now, you have to be blindfolded before we can continue."

"It's okay. I trust you." I says full of sincerity. She nods and ties the blindfold over my eyes.

"Just take my hand. I'll guide you there." Her hand slips into mine in a way that feels surprisingly natural. "Lead the way."

It's another hour of walking before I hear a creaking door. Y/N leads me a few start forward before I feel the blindfold being taken off. "Welcome to the monastery of the Rashad monks." She says and gestures to the wide expanse of buildings, people, and gardens behind her. "Word of advice before we go any farther. Be respectful. A lot of people are here because they either decided to no longer use magic the way most do or because of magicae—either of nobility, the council, or those who believe the former."

I have to take a moment and look at everyone in here. There's men and women of all ages, and little kids running around cheering. "Even the children?"

"How old do you think I was when I came here?" She retorst before nodding. "Yes, even them. There are some who were born here, but most come when families can't take care of them or if their village ran them out for their abilities or lack thereof."

It's hard to process. I've heard stories about what life in some of the less caring noble's sectors are like, but I never thought it would be bad enough for children to have to leave their families or villages. It hurts. Especially to think of Y/N being someone chased away.

"Xenia," A guy my age calls as he approaches and lifts Y/N up in tight hug, and I try to bury the anger bubbling up as she laugh and smiles at him—something it took me over a month to accomplish. "I'm so happy to see you.

"Aedan," She cheers when her feet are back on the ground, "I'm happy to see you too. I just wish it was under better circumstances. Speaking of, Aedan, this is Tom"

He nods at me and extends a hand that I harshly take. Y/N seems to notice the awkward exchange and speaks up, "Who do you have covering medicine these days? I need to—to have—"

She begins to sway on her feet, and I immediately wrap an arm around her waist to stabilize her, "Xenia?" I call and feel the panic rising as her eyes roll back before she passes out.

"Was she injured recently?" Aedan asks as he looks her over.

"Yeah, she took a knife to the shoulder the other day when we were attacked." I tell him as I lift her up in my arms. "She kept it. I think it's in her bag, but we need to get her somewhere."

"Follow me." Aedan says and leads me to one of the smaller buildings. He shouts at someone in Netesh, but I can't quit understand amidst the panic taking over. "Here, lay her down here."

I set her down on the neatly arranged blankets and pillows where Aedan gestured and watch as her face scrunches up amidst the beads of sweat. My hand holds onto hers as Aedan quickly speaks to the elderly woman who enters and pushes me aside to check Y/N's injury.