beyond the lights pt.2

"Peter!" I call as I enter our shared chemistry class a fact that I value far more then I should. In all honestly, I barely know Peter Parker, but I still have the world's biggest crush on him. This past week has only made the feeling grow exponentially. We've talked more than we ever have before since he showed up at auditions. Then after callbacks, it was like we started getting brave and confident enough to talk to each other.

He looks up from his homework, the goggles making his eyes look huge. It makes me have to bite back a laugh, but the excitement bubbling in my chest makes me forget everything else in a split second. "The list got posted." I breathe out, still horrendously nervous.

"Wait, really?" Peter breathes out and scrambles for his phone, but I already have mine ready for him. "You got the lead?!" He cheers and looks up at me with that smile that makes me genuinely smile in return.

"Yes, but keep reading!"

"Hold on, I got the lead?" Peter's jaw slackens and his lips move like a fish. "What—but how?"

"I talked to Miss Tillman because I couldn't believe that she would actually want me to be the lead. So I asked her, and she told me that we worked so well together it wasn't even a decision for her. Apparently, we were in her top choices and pairing since we auditioned!" I gush to Peter and bounce on my feet, far too excited to sit down. "I swear, my head is still spinning."

"I told you that you were beyond good enough to get the lead! I'm mostly surprised I got a role at all." Peter whispers and double checks the list again. "So, do you know when rehearsals start?"

"After school today. It's another thing Miss Tillman wanted me to pass on to help her narrow down her list. It's nothing to stress over. The first rehearsal is usually a get the script, meeting the cast, and a few bonding exercises if she's feeling like it." I bite my lip and set my books on the table next to Peter's. "So, I guess you won't have a choice about spending time with me now, huh?"

Peter's lips twitch upward into a smile, but I can't quite meet his eye. "Yeah. Not that I mind though." He pauses, and I swear my heart stole Thor's hammer to it hammer itself out of my ribcage right now. "In fact, if you want, maybe we could hang out this weekend and run lines?"

I look up from my fidgeting hands to find Peter already watching me with hope and growing disappointment brewing in those wondrous brown eyes. It makes my heart falter as it tries to decide whether to lift or fall. "Y-yeah, I would really like that."

"A-awesome," he chuckles nervously and shakes his head. "Maybe we could exchange numbers? That way we can figure out stuff, or if you ever want to hang out, or—or anything really. You—we could just talk and—and—"

I place my hadn't over his tentatively and smile widely at him. "That would be great. Here's my number, and feel free to text me whenever—for whatever."

We exchange our phones and type in our number. "Um, by the way, would you like to—"

"Alright, class, pass up your homework and get your gear on for today's lab." The teacher calls and unknowingly cuts Peter off before he can finish his sentence. I try to catch his attention to finish what he was going to say, but he just shakes his head and passes me the goggles. So, I do what I always do—I plaster on a forced grin and ignore the wonder and hurt.

...

"Okay, everyone. Gather around." Miss Tillman calls and claps her hands together. "It's time to start getting to know each other. We have our leads, Y/N and Peter who play our star-crossed lovers Elysia and Thomas. Michelle is playing Daya." I zone out as she continues to rattle through the casting list.