leave the city pt.1 {p.p.}

trench au – requested by @simply_jenna3000 (sorry it took a while to start this, but i hope you enjoy it, love.)

"Run. Don't look back; just keep running." I tell myself over and over again. My limbs ache, but I push forward with the hope that I can make it before Nico or the watchers can find me. All I have to do is make it through the valley.

Rumors back in DEMA say that once you're through the valley's pass, you're in Bandito territory. It's no guarantee of freedom, but I have no other ideas or options left. So, I keep running despite the pain as the pass gets closer with every step.

My heart pounds in my chest as a fresh wave of adrenaline enters my veins. The water slashes onto my pant legs and over my flimsy shoes as I enter the valley pass. I have to hold myself back from stopping to celebrate just yet. There's still a ways to go.

Except, all hope seems to fade as the sound of hoofs beating the ground echoes behind me.

"No, no. Please, no." I whisper to myself and try to push myself harder. A loose rock shifts under my foot sending me sprawling in the dirt and rock. Everything goes hazy as I try to push myself up or at least crawl forward. I'm faintly aware of the blood falling on chin from my now busted lip.

The bigger problem is Nico, who deemed me worthy to pursue himself. His blood red cloak trails after him as he dismounts his horse to approach me. "Oh, Y/N," he whispers like a parent scolding a disobedient child, but the sound of his voice rings in my ears. "I thought you were better than this. Still, we'll have plenty of time to resolve this little issue."

Fear claws its way up my throat as I move away from him, but the motion comes to an abrupt halt as he lifts his hand. I feel myself become fuzzy inside my own head as Nico starts to regain control. It burns and aches like neon being dumped in my veins until I'm a shadow in my own head.

Except, something happens that loosens his grip.

I look around as my head clears to find petals the color of sunshine falling all around us. A smile tugs at my lips at the sight. People are standing on the cliff's edges tossing the petals down, and it's only now that I know the rumors are true. The Banditos are really out here with their yellow bands and flags.

Tears build in my eyes as an overwhelming feeling fills my chest. It's not dark and sharp-edged like neon or anything I've ever felt in DEMA. This is bright and soft. Even as it fades with the falling petals, there's a lingering warmth left in its wake.

Nico takes a step closer to me, and I can see the boiling anger in his eyes. It's not as easy for him to regain control again, but like always, he does. My body hurts even more as I'm forced to follow him all the way back to the looming grey city.

The watchers are waiting and immediately grab a hold of me when we enter. I try to fight them, but my knees buckle underneath me from the exhaustion of today. It leaves me helpless as they drag me to the neon chamber and strap me down to the chair.

Nico and the other bishops enter shortly after the neon therapy starts. I can't make out what they're saying in the strange hushed way they have of speaking. Right now, my senses are flooded with the burning cold pain of the neon in my veins. It dances above me and paints pictures of everyone I've lost.

"That's it, my child." Nico's voice echoes in my head as the world grows dim, "Don't fight it; just let it take control."

I try to keep fighting, but the neon is offering false comfort—offering rest. It's only a few minutes before my strength gives out, which allows the neon to take full control, and my whole world goes blindingly white.

...

Peter's POV

I watch as the girl down in the valley is taken back by Nico. It's strange to see one of the bishops personally coming after an escapee. Whoever she is, she must be important. Especially for it to be Nico that came out.