leave the city pt.3

There's a metallic taste that I can get out of my mouth as I sit in the neon lit cells of Nico's dungeon. It's probably been hours since the last round of neon therapy. The ghosts of it still linger around, except this time there's a new one—Peter. I know it's not my Peter, especially with everything he's saying.

"You're never gonna get out of here, you know." The neon Peter says, "Now that you're here, there's no way I'm risking myself to come back for you."

I shake my head and try to ignore his taunts. Peter would never say anything like that. He's not like this. It's just the neon. I keep repeating it to myself.

"Why do you keep fighting it? You and I both know it's so much easier if you just give up and let Nico win." Neon Peter tells me as he crouches down in front of my bunk. "He's going to win no matter what. Why put yourself through so much pain?"

"Because, I won't give up now or ever." I grit my teeth and push myself to my feet. "Nico has taken everything from me and caused me so much pain. I won't give in now."

My legs tremble as I push myself to my feet and step towards the bars. I've got to find a way out of here. The watchers finished their patrol, which means I have at least to the count of two hundred before they'll be back.

I do my best to make the door budge, but it's stays put. Not to mention, the keys are nowhere to be seen. "This isn't it. I'm not giving up."

"Well, that's good to hear. I was worried there for a second." A familiar voice calls, and my head immediately snaps up to the source—Peter. "You still wanna get out of here?"

"Is that even a question?" I smile up at him. "We've got to work fast though before the watchers come back on their rounds or to get me for more neon."

"Right." He replies as if he forgot for a moment that we're in this situation, "Do you know where the keys are?"

"No, I've been doped up on neon most of the time." I tell him as I look around for any shadow that resembles the shape of a key. But nothing. "If you can't find them, just go hide. I can pretend to still be enough out of it that they won't raise any alarms."

"There's no way I'm leaving you again."

"Peter, you have to. It's the only way we can both make it out of this alive." The sound of footsteps echo through the stones, and I feel my heart drop against the cold concrete floor. "We're out of time to argue. Go, please."

He hesitates with his hands on the bars covering mine. The pain is clearly reflected on his face as he has to back away and hides away. I offer him a small nod of encouragement in the hopes it will encourage him and myself.

My heart pounds in my chest as I lay down on my cot and pretend to still be under the hazy influence of the neon. The watchers talk in that strange hushed whisper that sounds like rocks crunching. It seems to swim around my head as they approach and mixes with the jingling of the keys as they unlock my cell.

Their fingertips are colder than ice as they lift me to my feet likely for another round of neon. I struggle against them, pretending to still be weak, but the moment we're free from the cell, I fight with every ounce of strength I have. Peter joins the fight and quickly puts them down faster.

I steal the watcher's jackets and toss one to Peter. "Put this on. We'll draw less suspicion if they see the watcher colors. Question is, how do we get out of here?"

"I don't know if we can make it back to the tunnels, but it's the best chance we have." Peter wraps an arm around my waist to help me stay upright. "The closest entrance is on the other side of the sector."