armor heart pt.1 {t.h.}

fantasy au

this is set in a world that was originally created in a story that was never really finished, so i decided to revive it in the form of an imagine series.

above is a picture with some key terms and definitions (since this is a high fantasy story) so it doesn't get confusing as you read. i hope it's useful! (i will update it on the next parts if there's any new terms that need to be added)

...

"This was a bad idea," I think to myself as I sit across the table from the two highest ranking council members, who also happen to be some very powerful magicae as well. My only comfort is that they'll actually look at me and even better is the lack of the usual disdain and disgust. Instead, they look at me like a person with a little extra kindness that makes me shift uncomfortably in my seat.

"What do you say? Will you do it?" The woman, Nikki, I believe, asks me, and I can see the worry she's trying to hide reflected in her tone. "Will you protect our son?"

"Only for the next three months, right?" I question and glance down at Kandra to see how she's taking it. The wolf has always had a unique sense for these situations, but she remains calm, which is a good sign. "My job ends three nights after his induction?"

"Yes, once he takes his seat on the council, he's under their protection."

"And is there a reason he's not here for this?" The silence from them gives me my answer. "I understand your apprehension, but why invite me here if you weren't sure?"

"We've heard many good things about you from the villages you've helped, and we trust those vouching for you. It was more of a calculated risk in the end." The man tells me. "But we cannot risk you meeting him until we have your decision on the matter."

Kandra takes the opportunity to rest her head in my lap, and I rub behind her ears as I think it over. "I'll do it. After all, I'm sure it'll be better then dealing with trolls for a while."

Nikki's face relaxes ever so slightly and her smile become more genuine with the weight of it lifted off her. "Wonderful, as discussed you will receive a portion of your wages now and the rest upon the end of the agreement. Anything you—or your companion–may need will be supplied by us. Now, if you'll follow me, I'll introduce you to our son."

I stand up after she does and offer a respectful nod to her husband before following her out. We walk along in silence, with only the echoing sound of bustling servants to punctuate the silence. Still, I can feel the unspoken words in the air each time she glances at me with a curious look. "Anything I can help you with?" I ask her after the third successive look.

"No, it's nothing, dear. You just look oddly familiar for some reason." Nikki whispers as she studies me with an insightful gaze, but it's her words that nearly make me stumble.

"I don't know why that would be." I lie almost too easily. It's become second nature to bury and hide that part of my life, "People like myself, as rare as we are, don't often interact with magicae of your status."

"It's my hope that one day that will change. You should not be shunned for being born folamh. I believe it's a gift, just like our magic." She must notice my discomfort, because she changes the topic as we approach a large set of ornately carved doors. "My sons should be in here finishing up their studies for the day. Tom will be so delighted to meet you."

I give her an odd look and wonder why her son would be so happy to meet me—especially under the circumstances. "I'm quite excited to meet him myself." Mostly to see how difficult these next few months will be.