never grow up pt.5

My hand trembles in Peter's emerge from the ship's belly onto the deck, where Kellan and his filthy crew are waiting for us with wicked grins and muffled chuckles of amusement. "Have you made a decision yet, sister?" Kellan questions with an emphasis on 'sister,' as if the blood relation makes all the difference.

I can feel the worry radiating from Peter spike reflectively in my own chest as I let go of his hand and step forward. "Yes, in fact, I have." Kellan smiles wickedly at my statement and takes a step forward before I stop him. "But there are conditions, and they're not up for negotiation."

Charlotte lets out a heavy sigh as she pouts at Kellan, "Can't I just take it already? Or threaten her precious 'soulmate'?"

"Now, Charlotte, darling. That's my sister you're talking about; she deserves a chance to make her offer and be heard out before we jump to conclusions." Kellan tells her as his eyes flash toward me with an unspoken warning. "State your terms, and then we'll decide just how negotiable we'll be with you."

"They're fairly simple. When I give you what you want, you are to leave the lost boys and Peter alone—forever. You and the entirety of your crew are not to so much as think about them." I tell him as cooly and detached as anyone can be in this situation.

"Y/N, don't do this." Peter calls, but his voice and arguments die out with one pleading look from me. "You don't have to do this. I made a promise."

I can't bring myself to give him an answer just yet as I turn back to Charlotte and Kellan, who are watching with a vicious amusement. "The next and last is that I repay my debt before I give you—" the words catch in my throat as it all becomes vividly real to me, "—before I give you my heart."

"That's reasonable enough." Kellan chimes as he lets go of Charlotte's waist to offer me his good hand, which I take and give a hefty shake to seal the deal—and likely my fate. "Now, who is this 'debt' to so we can get this over with."

I turn around and look at Peter, who is being restrained by two of Kellan's men as tears build in his eyes. "Peter." Kellan heaves a heavy sigh and whispers something under his breath before motioning me forward. I approach him and glare at the two burly, stinking men that have him in their grip and command, "Give us a moment."

They look at each other for a moment before quickly looking to their captain for an answer, "You heard her, give them some space." He calls, and they quickly step aside to give us some space.

"Why are you doing this? There's always another way." Peter whispers, clearly trying to hold it together.

"No, there's not. I know my brother better than almost anyone, even if it has been a while; so, please, trust me, that's all I ask of you besides keeping your promise." I whisper and take his hand. His eyes become soft as he looks me in the eyes as I barely manage to speak out the words that I've wanted to tell him for a while now, "Peter Parker, words cannot express how grateful I am to have met you and to be your soulmate. I will likely never be able to repay you for that, but consider this the down payment."

My hands find his cheeks and his find my waist as the space between us closes. Everything seems to go quiet for a moment. His lips brush against mine tentatively before committing fully to the kiss that makes my head spin.

Despite the danger and terror of the moment, all I can feel in my chest is the overwhelming feeling that I can now put a name to—love. It builds and swirls in my chest as we continue to kiss for another long moment before being pulled away from each other. "Trust me." I whisper to him as we're tugged in opposite directions.

"That's enough of that." Kellan grimaces and shakes his head at us. "You've gotten what you wanted, sister. Now give me what I want, what I've been promised."