a siren's sorrow pt. 4

Peter's POV

"Dude, this is epic. We're going to a real party that we were invited to without anyone thinking that you'd hook them up with Spiderman!" Ned cheers as he adjusts his hat.

I can barely focus on what he's saying. I haven't been able to really focus on anything since I last saw Y/N. She looked so scared about whatever secret she wants to tell me. It worries me, what could she be hiding that would be so bad? What would make her so think that i could ever hate her?

"You okay?" Ned questions when he notices my lack of response and enthusiasm. "I thought you would be pumped about this. It's Y/N's party, which she personally invited you to. You know, Y/N, the girl you've been practically in love with for the past few months?"

I shake my head to dispel the cloud of worry and allow a smile to make its way across my face at the thought of her. Y/N. The girl who's had me falling harder every day. "Yeah, I know. I'm just a little nervous. I don't want to embarrass myself in front of her--or her friends--or her siblings." The list just keeps continuing in my head bringing back an onslaught of nerves.

It doesn't help when the place Y/N told us the party's at comes into view. "Peter, deep breaths. You're Spiderman; if you can face a bunch of bad guys, you can definitely handle a party with your crush for a little bit. Plus, I'll be your guy in the chair. I've got your back the whole time."

"You're right." I tell him with a nod and shift the small package I got for Y/N between my sweating palms. My heart feels like it's going to beat through my ribcage right now, but I can't shake the excitement of seeing her again. "Alright, let's do this."

The music immediately greets us as we step through the door. People crowd the dance floor and bar area, each one smiling, laughing, and clearly having fun. The blonde woman, who I assume is Y/N's sibling, approaches us with a smile. "Hi, welcome to the party!" She cheers and her eyes widen in recognition, "Wait, you're Peter, right?"

I nod, feeling my throat close up with nerves. "Y-yeah, that's me, and this is Ned. We're--um--friends of Y/N's."

Her smile only grows and there's a strange glint in her eyes. "Oh, I know. She's been talking about you non-stop. It's nice to finally meet you. I'm Lila, her older sister. Ben's behind the bar–no alcohol allowed, and Y/N is most likely dancing. There's snacks and--"

Her voice fades away as I catch sight of her. Hair floating around her, hands lifted, and a dazed smile on her features. It makes my breath catch in my throat at the sight of her. She looks absolutely gorgeous and carefree. Our eyes meet, and I swear I don't know where I'm at for a second.

Y/N's POV

He's here. The thought rings in my head as I nervously wrap my arms around myself. What if he saw? What if he's already under the influence of the Song? I know I shouldn't have let myself go just yet. I should have hung back, socialized instead of dancing before he got here.

"H-hi, Y/N." Peter stutters with wide eyes, and I don't reply. Instead, I just smile and wrap him up in a tight hug wanting nothing more than the comfort he brings. His arms tentatively wrap around my waist, and we stay like that for a long moment.

Lila clears her throat and gives me a half-scolding, half-knowing look. "Y/N, don't be rude. You have more than one guest here."

I shake my head at her and give Ned a hug. "Hi, guys. I'm so excited you came! C'mon, the party's just starting." I tell them excitedly as I grab their hands and tug them along after me.

"Wait, Y/N." Peter stops after a few steps and nervously shifts on his feet. I can't help but smile a little at how nervous he is. It reminds me of all the reasons I keep wishing that Peter is it. "I-um-Happy Birthday."