beyond the lights pt.5

Opening night, it's actually here. I have remind myself of it every passing minute as I pace back and forth in the empty hallway with my script in hand. "You're nervous too, huh?" A familiar voice asks as he pulls me out of my nervous concentration.

"Yeah. No matter how many times I do this, it still terrifies me." I let out a sigh and smile softly at Peter. "Especially now that everyone is going to be watching us."

"You'll do great, Y/N." He reassures me. "You've always been good at that kind of thing."

"Peter, I—" I stutter and try to hide the trembling in my hands, but my voice dies in my throat.

"You know, I really like you, Y/N."

"I like you too, Peter. I like you more than I can explain." I whisper and lean against the wall. "It's just, it's hard to explain."

Peter steps forward so I have almost no choice but to look at him. "It's okay. You don't have to explain anything if you're not ready. It's just—you make me so confused. I have such trouble figuring you out.

"One second it's like you have this shield up. You put on these fake smiles and pretend you're okay. Then when it's just us hanging out, you give that up and just—you're so real. I get the chance to see who you really are. That's the person I like, but sometimes you're so good at pretending, the lines get blurred."

"I'm sorry. I guess sometimes when you pretend for long enough, the lines get blurred even to you. Even my family can't tell the difference anymore. You're actually the first person who has ever seem to notice the difference."

"Is that why you've been avoiding me?" He questions, and I nod somberly.

"That's partly the reason." I pause and meet his eyes. "I really do like you, Peter, and I know that's hard to believe. It's true though."

"I believe you, Y/N. It's just hard to tell when you're being real and when you're pretending."

I open my mouth to reply, but there's no chance. "Everyone get to the green room. Opening curtain in five, and I need you in place, Elysia." Peter gives me a sad smile as we both take our separate places.

My mind keeps wandering as we perform, but I'm sure that no one in the crowd or cast notices. Because as distracted as I am, I allow myself to get lost in the role. It goes by beautifully with Peter and I able to pretend for tonight better than ever before.

Although, when the great argument comes up, all I can think about is my conversation with Peter before we started the performance. So as Thomas argues with Elysia over the secrets and lies, I can feel myself rising to the surface.

"Elysia, all I want is for you to be able to confide in me. I know our futures may not be what we wish, but that does not mean we cannot change things. Although, nothing can change if you won't allow it to—if you won't allow yourself to be true, if you won't allow yourself to be real and honest."

The last sentence isn't part of the script, and I know that it came directly from Peter. It breaks my heart—breaks me. I barely think as I abandon the notion of being Elysia for a short moment.

"Look, I know that I have trouble and am learning how to be honest and real," I pause and step forward to lessen the already little space between us, my hand resting on his cheek, "but this is one thing I could never fake."

Peter gives me a quizzical look, but it quickly fades as I tug him forward by his lapels and press a kiss to his lips. To the audience, I'm quite certain the action looks like part of the performance, for which they are heartily cheering. Although, I'm sure Miss Tillman is going to freak out later. So I use the limited opportunity to pour everything I have into it.

I nearly pull back in surprise when Peter places a hand on my waist and kisses me back. There's a smile tugging at the corners of his lips as he puts just as much emotion into it as I am. When we finally pull away, tears building in my eyes as I once again myself and Elysia overlap, but I resume following the carefully practiced script.

"I am sorry, my love." I whisper as I back away. "Maybe Fate has chosen to take us on different paths, but know that if it was possible, I would fight until her mind is changed. Know that I will continue to care for you as long as I breath."

The moment I enter the green room, MJ, Miss Tillman, and the rest of the cast are all waiting and watching me. A moment later, when Peter enters, Miss Tillman finally bursts at the seams. "That was phenomenal. It so good that it made the story even better you two are true thespians. Just remember to keep that energy for the grand finale."

Luckily, there's another scene before either of us has to go on again, which provides me a small moment to talk to Peter. "Hey, so about that." I whisper as I tug Peter into a unoccupied corner of the green room, "I'm sorry if that was unexpected or if I crossed a line or—"

Peter takes my hand and cuts me off, "It wasn't. I actually wanted to ask you something." He takes a deep breath and leans in as he whispers, "Would you—maybe—want to try going on another date?"

"I—I would like that very much, but only if you're sure. I haven't exactly been the best to you."

"I'm entirely sure. If you promise that you'll try to be yourself and not hide away."

"I promise to do my best." I whisper back and wrap him a tight hug. "Thank you, Peter, for everything. Especially for not giving up on me."

"I wouldn't dream of it." He whispers back, "After all, I've kind of had a crush on you since you came to school here. You're one of the best people I've ever met."

"I doubt that's true, but I'll let you keep believing it." I smile and press a kiss to his cheek. "We should probably get out there. We have a show to finish."

Peter grins wider than ever before. I find the same beaming smile on my face as I move to take my place with one last look at Peter before I have to fake a somber mood. Although, it makes the reunion between Thomas and Elysia that much more believable as we both can't hide our giddiness. "I'll see you at the end of the aisle then."

"Of course, my darling." I reply, still not wanting to let go of his hand. "Tomorrow and forever."

"Tomorrow and forever, my love." The words linger in the air for a second as the lights still shine down on the pair of us holding hands before cutting. We both scramble off stage and past the rest of the cast, who are patiently waiting for their bow at curtain call.

When it's our turn, Peter grips my hand a little tighter as he pulls me out alongside him. We raise our hands in a bow, each taking our turn before coming back together. That's when Peter surprises me, by lifting a hand to my chin and kissing me in front of the roaring crowd. "Had to get your back for the surprise you gave me."

I shake my head at him as we take the final bow and catch sight of my Mom in the crowd with Aunt May next to her. Both of them are cheering and bouncing on their feet. It makes me laugh as I lean against Peter, who joins in when he notices the sight of them.

"I'm pretty sure they're celebrating us getting together as much as the play." He tells me once we're off stage and out of sight. "But to be honest, I'm pretty happy about it too."

"Yeah? So am I." I tell him with a widening grin. "Honestly? I don't think that I've been this happy for a really long time." And it's true, I feel relieved, happy, and completely over the moon with an indescribable feeling.

Maybe, it's love—or just the crazy feeling of having someone want to be with you despite everything. Either way, I think I was right. Peter Parker is different from everyone else, and even now, he's showing me how to be myself and happy once again.

So yeah, maybe I am falling in love with Peter Parker, and for the first time, the thought doesn't scare me.