good times pt.2

We both clutch our stomachs and double over in laughter. "Mrs. Hartman was such an odd bird, but she made for some great stories and friendships." I manage as Harry and I finally calm down. "I really missed hanging out with you like this."

"I did too." Harry replies with a smile, but it fades after a quick moment. "What happened to you? It was like you just disappeared when we were kids."

"Yeah. My parents claimed they needed a change of pace. I just—never really understood why."

"So—what brought you back?"

"I wanted to come to a good school, to pursue my dream, and to come back here. I missed it."

"Missed it? Or a very specific Holland?" Harry teases and sips his cup of tea with a smirk. My cheeks turn red, and I struggle to come up with a halfway decent rebuttal. "C'mon, Y/NN. I know you and my brother were like a childhood love story of best friends."

"It wasn't like that." I mumble into my tea. "We were just friends."

"You know—" Harry draws out the syllable as his smirk grows, "—Tom has been talking about you non-stop since you two reconnected."

I clamp a hand over my mouth to keep from spewing hot tea everywhere. Harry laughs at my reaction, while I hastily gulp down my mouthful. "What? Harry, why did you have to say that! I swear, I've been doing really good about not freaking out yet. Now I'm getting all nervous and all sweaty again. What am I even supposed to say to him when we're talking face to face?"

Harry looks over my shoulder and offers a halfway sympathetic look. "Well, you're gonna have to figure that one out quickly."

I don't have long to figure out what he means before the front door opens up. My muscles instinctively tense up. Tessa immediately runs up to the two boys, who are chatting and joking happily. They—unlike me—are blissfully unaware of the situation ahead of us.

It's clear exactly when I get noticed, because the whole room goes dead silent. I squeeze my eyes shut and pray for myself to turn miraculously invisible. Unfortunately, Harry just has to 'help' out. "Hey, guys. Did you see who's here?"

I stand up from my seat on the plush couch and wipe my clammy palms on my jeans. It takes a moment for me to process exactly who is in front of me. My eyes focus on Harrison, knowing that one glance at Tom, and I'll be nothing but a stuttering mess. "Hi, guys." I whisper and barely a wave.

"Y/N?" Harrison cheers and runs toward me with arms extended for a hug. "It's been forever. Where have you been hiding out all these years?"

I can't help but hug back and smile into Harrison's shoulder as he sets me back down on my feet. "Well, my parents moved us up to Scotland, and I only recently came back for BRIT school and work."

Harrison beams with a happiness that makes me feel giddy myself. "Really? What did you study?"

"I studied acting and singing, and before you ask, yes, I do still dance. It's just more of a hobby though." I tell Harrison, who turns toward his best friend to see his reaction. Although, we find Tom staring at us with a blank, still shocked look on his features.

Those brown eyes that I adored so much when we were younger stare into mine with tears threatening to spill. All the memories and feelings from when we were kids come flooding back like a tidal wave. I guess over nine years and a whole country between us means nothing against one look from Tom. Because one look and I'm right back to caring for him deeper than I thought possible. "Hi, Tommy." I whisper.

"Hi, Y/NN." He whispers back, and I can faintly hear Harry and Harrison rushing out of the room to give us some privacy. We both remain completely still, unsure of how to act around each other after so long. "So—you're—um—you're really back in town?"