TWENTY-EIGHT

LUNA

Running my hands over my face, I walk up to my porch with a yawn. I stop when I notice a person standing on my porch. I look at him for a moment. He favored his left side and his arm was in a cast. Bruises all over his face as well as cuts. A few stitches on his forehead.

I look down at the porch while digging my keys into my palm. I swallow harshly. "Luna," He whispers. I close my eyes. "Look at me, please,"

"I can't," I whisper. I hear his footsteps before feeling his hand on mine. I pull my hand back as tears fall without permission. I look into his eyes like he wanted. Regret filled them. "Leave. I beg you,"

"Luna, please," I shake my head.

"Brax is my brother. For a while, he was my only brother. Luc disappeared after Mom died. Brax was all I had. You put his life in danger not once but twice. You almost killed him twice. And you have the nerve to feel guilty and ask me for something?"

"I don't like to see you cry," More tears fell and I wrapped my arms around myself.

"You should have thought about that before you got on that damn track. I am crying because of you. I am hurt because of you. I almost my brother again because of you. Whatever you hoped to gain from coming here? You can forget about it,"

He looks down. "I came to apologize,"

"I don't care," He looks at me as he leans against the locked door.

"I never intended to win that race. I was just going to make him work for it. But then Brax got under my skin the best way he knows how," I search his eyes as he licks his dried lips. "By you," I give him a confused look.

"What?" He lets out a dry laugh.

"After all these years and you still haven't figured out how I feel about you? That I have loved you since you were 16," I take a step back shocked.

"Brax knew this?" He nods.

"He did. He forbid me from ever pursuing it. He said that I was mixed in the wrong crowd and I was a danger to you," I let out a dry laugh while shaking my head.

"Brax telling you that you can't date me has nothing to do with the fact that you almost killed him twice,"

"The first time was an accident. I only meant to slow him down. I didn't realize that he was going too fast and couldn't stop before hitting the tree. I was in the wrong but my pride was too high to admit it,"

"I came to that race only to make him work for the trophy he earned the first time. But then he said something to me that pissed me off because I know it's true. I will never be more than someone to pass the time for you. You will only ever want me to help distract you from your pain," I gulp while looking at his chest.

"Brax knew that we were sleeping together and used me to piss you off,"

"It doesn't matter what he said or did. I was still in the wrong. I don't have my anger under control. I say red and put both of us in danger. I shouldn't have done that. He was going too fast. I just didn't see reason,"

I look into his eyes and he stands up straighter. He walks up to me and I look up at him while taking a deep breath. He bends his head down and kisses my cheek softly.

"Take care of yourself, Luna. Find someone to love. Someone who can work on your anger and not distract you from it. Be every bit of yourself and more. I'm sorry for all the trouble I put you and your family through. I just came here to apologize,"

"Loving you has been the best moments of my life but it never brought either of us any good. So I'll leave you alone. If you ever need me? I will be there for you but I pray that you won't," He walks around me and I wait until I hear his car door and his wheels pulling out of the driveway.