TWENTY-SIX

Brax pulls his car up to the starting line as Xavier gets into his car to do the same. Carl sighs loudly as his heart thumps nervously. He walks over to the starting line as he holds up the microphone.

Xavier pulls up next to Brax anger flowing through his veins. He grips his steering wheel while looking over at Brax. Brax glances at Xavier before looking back at Carl.

"Last chance?" Carl says to Brax. Brax snorts.

"The last call was before everyone paid their bets," Carl nods.

"I was hoping you would change your mind still," Brax rolls his eyes.

"Let's go," Carl takes a deep breath before giving the nod to turn the mic on.

"Ladies and gentlemen! May I have your attention?" Everyone turns their attention to Carl with anticipation. Poppy grips the fence while her heart pounds.

"You've got this, Brax," She whispers. Luc watches her for a moment and his heart breaks for his brother and his girl.

"Tonight is a special request from our very favorite racer, Demon Devil. He has asked to race Nightmare in a Wild Card battle," Carl says loudly and clearly. It rings through the mic and out the speakers.

Luc leans forward as does Creg. "What the hell are you doing Brax?" Luc growls. Poppy looks at him nervously.

"Luc? What's wrong?" Luc looks at her and runs his hand over his face.

"The last time Brax raced Xavier, Xavier cheated. So Brax's solution is to have a race where anything goes. This means Xavier can be more lethal," Poppy looks at the track and catches Brax's gaze in the mirror.

"I'm sorry, Snowball," Brax whispers. Xavier chuckles causing Brax to look at him.

"Are you trying to make it easier for me, Brax? Let's not forget who was sent to the ER last time we went through this," Brax hums.

"You were going to cheat again. At least this way I can fight fire with fire," Xavier snorts.

"Oh, this is going to be fun," Brax looks at Carl.

Poppy rushes up to Creg with Luc on her tail and Creg looks at her. "Tell me you didn't know he was planning on doing this?" Creg looks away from her for a moment.

"He knows what he is doing, Poppy," She growls at him taking his attention once again.

"The last time Brax touched up his car was before we left for Michigan, Creg. He is going in blind," Creg cracks a small smirk.

"Baby girl, Brax doesn't work on his car. I do. I know how it runs and I know what it has. I'm telling you, Brax is in good hands," Poppy searches his eyes and lets out a heavy breath.

"You swear?" He nods.

"I would not let him go on that damn track with that fucker if I didn't plan for everything Xavier would throw at him. I have studied the way he raced because of this day. Don't doubt me," Poppy glances at Luna.

Luna lets out a shaky breath. "If there is one thing I have learned about Creg, it's not to doubt him," Poppy nods.

"Okay," Luna looks behind Poppy and smiles widely.

"Luc?" He smiles while walking around Poppy. He wraps her up in his arms tightly and she takes a deep breath.

"Hey, Firefly," His nickname rolls off his tongue and her heart warms.

"I'm glad you came," She says pulling back. Luc nods.

"I had to. I wasn't going to miss this," She smiles widely.