Chapter 3

Decision

"Louen, where're your parents? Why are you still waiting here outside? Let's go inside," I was 10 years old when we had a family event at my school. We are told to bring our parents with us for the special day.

I already said it to my Mom and Dad and they promised to come, "I'll wait for my Mommy and Daddy," I said to my teacher and kept playing with my fingers and waiting for our car to come. I'm standing here beside the gate of our school to wait for them, maybe they're just late and buying food to bring.

While waiting, isa-isa nang pumapasok ang mga kaklase ko kasama ang mga magulang nila, I smile and imagine that I'll be also walking inside together with my Mom and Dad.

But as time goes by, and an hour passes, my teacher goes back to check on me, she holds my hand while holding her phone at the other side, and I suddenly feel what she is going to say, kaya inunahan ko na siya.

"Wait forTeacher a little bit more, Mommy and Daddy are coming," I utter and smile, My teacher urges a small smile on me before she wipes my forehead sweat and speaks, "You're Mom and Dad call, Your Mom has an emergency on the hospital and your Dad have an unexpected important meeting, that's why they said sorry they won't be able to attend the party but they order pizza for all of us, I will be your guardian for today, let's go" she reach for my hand and gently pull me inside.

I glance back and still hope to see my Mom and Dad coming but as we enter the venue, I lose hope and just watch the other kids play with their parents.

I bite my lower lip to control my tears and try to laugh at other families having fun. "Louen, come here," I look at my teacher when she calls me, "You will join Cloe's family for now because they need another member, so they can join the sack race, can you do that?" she gently asked. I craned and tilted my head before I looked at Cloe's family smiling at me.

Before I nodded and let her bring me to Cloe's Family, "Hi Louen, play with us ok," Cloe's mother sweetly said and tapped my head before she look at her daughter and kiss her forehead. "Good luck to us Baby" she whispered.

I just watched them cheering each other before the game started, "We can do this," Her father said before we started playing the sack race and ended up winning.

And reach the line first, "Yehey!!" they shouted and hugged Cloe, while I stayed here slowly removing the sack from my feet. I watch them and smile bitterly before I walk away and just stay in the restroom for the whole day.

***

"Let's call on our honor students, Helena Galvez, Paris Mikka Louen Del Mundo, and Faye Trias together with their parents." I bite my lower lips again as this situation happens again, I stand up and walk alone to the stage while Faye and Lena are escorted by their parents.

"They are the most outstanding students in this batch," the MC said while the principal started giving the medals to their parents, since I'm at the last line the principal stopped when she didn't see any parents beside me.

I smile at her, pero nakita ko ang pagkaawa sa kanyang mga mata kaya siya na ang nagsuot nito para sa akin at tumabi siya sa akin sa picture taking, that didn't cheer me up, it just makes me feel lonely.

I graduated alone and received my award alone because my parents are...

My phone rings and when I look at it, I stipple and answer it while standing here outside the graduation venue. "Hello?"