PART 1

1.1 (Mumbai) 

"Hum patient ko andar le kar jaa rahe hai.. Ghabraiye mat.." the nurse patted the lady's shoulder, asking her not to panic outside the operation theatre.

As soon as the patient was triaged, the emergency room physicians started the trauma protocol. The patient had met with an accident half an hour ago and had lost a lot of blood till time.

"Get the CT scan done.." Dr. Akbar, an orthopedic as well as the doctor on duty took charge and hastily walked up to the intercom at the joint cabin.

"TAT casualty!" he announced. "It's a case of head injury... accident hua hai.. The glass pieces have pierced into his head.." Dr. Akbar informed the specialist about the case. Dr. Sidharth, an excellent MD, had arrived, taking charge now. The reports arrived in the meanwhile,

"There is a minor fracture in the skull... We need to operate him now.. Shift him to the high dependency ward.. Kafi blood loss ho chuka hai.. Causing his blood pressure to fall..." Dr Sidharth told them after taking a quick glance at the reports and the team was quick enough to get the operation theatre prepared.

"Patient needs transfusion..." he announced, the nurses were on it, the very sufficient Maruthi hospital had a blood bank of its own. Whereas Dr Akbar was analyzing the patient's limbs, especially arms, his right arm had multiple fractures.

Once every piece of glass had been removed, they began cutting through the scalp at the back of his head and applied clips to prevent bleeding through them. Cutting through, they could see the multiple cracks on his skull, Dr Sidharth placed a 6-hole plate adjacent to the fracture and tightened them with screws, placed a 14-hole long plated below the previous one and tightened it again. The skin was closed with sutures, while Dr Akbar plastered his right arm and the surgery was successful. They sighed with satisfaction, signing the postoperative norms.

"Sab.. Mera pati.. Theek hai na vo sab?" a woman ran into them as soon as they walked out of the OT. She held Sidharth's hand between her palms, crying and begging for her husband's life, there was a little boy next to her, clinging to her leg.

"Ha.. Theek hai aapka pati.. Sar pe tanke lage hai.. Aur dahine hath ki haddiya tooti hai.. Thodi der me mil sakte hai aap.." he told her, looking more at the scared boy, both of them had scratches around their hands. He called the nurse and asked her to get their first aid done. 

"Yeh road rash me.. Roz aise accidents hote rehte hai.." Akbar continued to talk about the case. "Han.. Careless people.. Abhi uski family ka kya hota vo mar jata toh.. Glad that he was young and survived through.." Sidharth sighed, the little boy's scared face was still occupying his mind though.

They were having lunch in the cafeteria now. Done with the day, Sidharth retired back to his cabin to wrap up, when his phone chimed with his mother's name.

"Hi Mom.." he answered. "Bache.. Aa raha hai na?" she asked.

"On my way Milady.." he answered while walking up to the parking area, got into his car, connected his phone with his ipods, buckled the seat belt and continued talking with a smile on his face knowing that she would be smiling equally on the other side.

Rita Shukla, his mother, lived in Nirmala Avaas, their home, named after his grandma. While he lived in Malad, nearer to the hospital and visited his mother every weekend.

"Maa.." he smiled and wrapped her in a tight hug, as she opened the door for him. He loved Fridays, for the next 3 days would be super relaxing, loaded with super tasty dishes and love, until any hospital casualty. But today, he was more than glad that it was a friday for some reason.