PART 23

Shehnaaz was in a different state of mind today, a pretty happy one. She had made Nonu sit in front of TV and switched on the Cartoon Network for him and kissed him goodbye too before leaving. In school, she kept an eye on her watch and made a list of things she had to get for him, most importantly clothes, toys, biscuits and chocolates, the latter two to bribe him to eat, some colour pens too. She bought half a dozen underpants, 4 pairs of animated T-shirts and pants, a pair of baby slippers, Johnson's soaps and talcum powder for him. Whoa, never done this before right?  She chuckled at the thought. It was not as difficult as buying toys was, the fancy and bright toy store was confusing her over and over. She recalled how Nonu enjoyed watching Mowgli last night, so she bought a set of small animal figures and a big teddy. 

Phew, it was 11 already, she hurriedly took an auto rickshaw straight to home. At her apartment, she saw Tai cleaning the table and Nonu asleep on the sofa, nicely tucked in a quilt with the TV remote still in his hands. An awww escaped her lips. She sat tired on the couch after keeping the bags inside, after Tai left and texted Sidharth not wanting to get scolded like yesterday. 

Soon the kid woke up rubbing his eyes, "Uth gaya baby!" She pulled the quilt down and made him sit properly. 

"Hii.. Good afternoon ho gayi.. Teri ninni poori huyi ya nahi?" she asked, peppering him with kisses. He sniffed initially and soon began to cry when he found himself in a new place. 

"Oii..rote nahi.." she cooed, picking him up and taking him inside where she had kept toys for him. He did stop crying and touched those animals wondering if he could play with them. Post lunch, she sent a picture of Nonu playing, along with hers to Sidharth and waited for the blue tick to come over, while arranging the new clothes. It took him half an hour to check his phone and call her. 

"Hii.." she received happily. 

"Kya kar rahi hai?" he asked. 

"Kapde jama rahi hu.. Thodi si space banayi hai Nonu ke kapdo ke liye.." she said, while sticking the phone between her left shoulder and ear and hands continued to work. 

"Sahi hai.. Toh Academy nahi jayegi?" he asked. 

"Aaj nahi.. I'll talk to Ana about all this tonight.. Shayad jana bhi pade.." she doubtfully answered. He didn't ask further to let her decide it for herself and asked what all she did today. 

"School ka toh tujhe pata hai.. Marksheet bana rahi hu.. Bhagwaan ka shukar hai aur meri mehnat ke koi fail nahi hua hai.." she chuckled. 

"Ache marks se pass ho gaye sare.. Yeh final exam nahi tha Quarterly exam tha.. Aisa hi acha performance aage karte rahenge toh mujhe increment bhi mil sakti hai is session ke end me.." she said, making him laugh. 

"Tu pehli aisi teacher hai jisko bacho ke knowledge ki nahi aur apne salary ki padi hai.." he commented. 

"Poore man se padhati hu mai!! Vo toh ye bache itne badmash hai ke sara mood kharab kar dete hai.. Aur sare teachers paise leke padhate hai.. Zyada bol mat tu.." she answered, rolling her eyes at his words. 

"Right right.." he replied. Agreed that she wasn't very dedicated as a teacher, she just taught, because it was her job. Her main subject of interest has always been dance, she just took teaching as a profession because she found it a convenient job. If she'd have been a dance teacher, the dedication would have been next level. 

"Tune inspector se baat ki?" she asked. 

"Haa.. Meri maa I texted Singh.. Usne bola vo apne junior ko lagayega kaam pe.. Baki stations se baat karenge koi missing report aayegi toh.." he answered, she'd been constantly reminding him of this.