PART 24

Shehnaaz felt as if she had been slapped across her face. He just showed her all her weaknesses as a reason to keep someone away from her. 

"Fuck off!" She pushed Sidharth away and made her way back to her apartment. He stood on the terrace, conscience-stricken on his outburst and cursed himself for the iniquity. He had tried to be patient but she was being so mulish that he lost his mind. But he was still mad at her and her stupid decision. Not that she was verklempt over her childhood but being so sentimental about it wasn't good. He didn't stop her when she stormed out of the terrace to give her some time and space to think about it. He thought of talking to her about all this again tomorrow.

She on the other side, cried all night silently, so this is what she was to the two? A stray for Arohi and a wrecked piece of shit for Sidharth. The two were so different and had mostly disliked each other, so why didn't their opinions differ in this matter? Okay, she wasn't perfect but flawed. So? Bid deal? The two weren't wrong at certain places though, she recalled that Arohi was at least not wrong when she said that they'd be facing difficulties if their landlord gets to know about the situation, even Sidharth was right about the housing thing that she needed to have a house of her own to show the authorities that she's financially okay. Also the other stuff he brutally mentioned, they weren't lies either. She was a mess if one starts to list out. But the way he said them aloud was hurtful, so what if she had a drinking problem? She wasn't harmful! You feel more hurt simply because those are people that matter to you. Understand that it's your choice how you perceive any given situation. No one can hurt you unless you allow it to happen. It's ok to see things differently. Your world doesn't have to rock because of others' opinions, she thought. Glancing at the kid peacefully asleep next to her, she raised her head and kissed his forehead and tried to sleep. The next morning, she woke up hearing her roommate knocking at the door. 

"Sana.. Late ho jayegi! Get up!" she heard Arohi, it was 7.40am when she looked at her wall clock. 

"Shit!" she jumped out of her bed to the washroom and quickly got ready. Taking out an apple from the refrigerator, she peeked into her room one more time to see Nonu was still in deep sleep. The maid too arrived in time so she grabbed her bag and was about to leave when Arohi stopped her. 

"Sana! Maaf karde yaar.. Mera woh matlab nahi tha.. I didn't mean to hurt you.." she held her hand. 

"I know you didn't mean to.. Lekin chal koi na..I'm used to it.." Shehnaaz replied coldly, shrugging her shoulders and left. She didn't feel good today, maybe it was because of the argument last night that there was this sudden restlessness inside her. 

Sidharth on the other hand couldn't focus on his work either. She wasn't a kid that he'd explain and she'd understand. The decision would be hers in the end and he could only give advice. All of this was giving him a good headache. His phone rang and the screen had the inspector's name on it. 

"Good morning Inspector.." he received. 

"Morning Dr. Shukla.. I have news for you.. Ek couple ne missing report likh vayi thi 4 din pehle.. They've confirmed vo bacha unka hai.." he said. Sidharth went silent for a second, the parents were finally here! 

"Oh.. That's great!" he reacted, but not really happy about it. 

"So I'm giving them the address jo vo ladki yaha de kar gayi thi.." the inspector added. 

"Sure..and thanks for the help.." Sidharth replied before hanging up. So... Nonu will leave. He was about to dial Shehnaaz's number when she herself called him. 

"H..hello.. Sidharth.. Police station se call aaya tha.. Nonu ke parents aa rahe hai.." she informed him, in such a feeble voice. He knew it, he had already seen it coming that she was getting overly attached to that kid. And now she'd be upset about his departure.