PART 25

Sidharth had casually asked, "So.. It's a date?" and expected an obvious no, which he did get in the answer but then. 

"Pata nahi.. Bol bhi sakte hai.." she shrugged. This came unexpectedly. He had seen that guy Amit in her performance and also that the two looked good together. He had just wished that they just didn't realise it, this thought again crossed his mind today. Not having anything else to say he had hung up the call on her, but like other times she didn't call back. She better be kidding about this because he didn't find the date thing believable enough. Shehnaaz and him were like two ships sailing in the sea with the same pace, simultaneously. They weren't sure about the other person's perception but had a feeling that the other person was involved too. This doubtful date thing she had dropped into his mind would not have affected him, if there wasn't a headache. He did feel his temperature rising with time and the headache was increasing. The sensitive he was to the weather change, getting wet in the rain a couple of times and the habit of sleeping in a room completely chilled were helping the fever. On top of everything, the department meeting was arranged suddenly. He had somehow prepped himself with the help of Aspirins that he had been consuming since the morning. 

"We've been doing good so far.. No complaints about the hospitality yet.. But I'd like to mention the need to appoint someone to look after the pharmaceutical department.." the CMO said. It wasn't a necessity, it was just a meeting to check on the staff and the doctors. The CMO kept talking about how they should work on some management stuff for another half an hour. 

"Abey ye sadi si meeting me mera weekend barbaad ho gaya! Ye CMO ko ghar jane ka man nahi hota toh bhenchod apne ko kyu rok leta hai?" Akbar ranted. Enough for Devi, who was walking with them, to listen and chuckle. 

"Even I would have gone for dinner with my husband.. Sab flop! Ulta ghar jake usko manaungi.." she said, looking equally helpless as Akbar. 

"Iska sahi hai.. Family.. Husband.. Happening life hai.." Akbar commented. 

"Huh! You wish! Jitne dates nahi utne arguments hote hai.." she rolled her eyes at him. "Meri life me toh utna bhi nahi hai.." he shrugged. 

"Inki jaisi kismat kaha.." he added, eyeing Sidharth.

"Excuse me?" Sidharth asked. 

"I mean just neighborhood things.. Woh konsa gana hai Devi.. The one from Padosan?" Akbar answered. 

"Uh.. Ha! Mere samne wali khidki me.. Ek chand ka tukda rehta hai.." he sang. 

"Abey jaa na! Paka mat!" Sidharth slapped his back, enough to make him jump from the impact and yelp in pain. They bid bye to each other and pulled their cars out, Sidharth was about to take the turn towards Shehnaaz's dance academy when he realised it was her day off. Also, that reminded him about her date! Yeah, she must have enjoyed her weekend, no? The mere thought irritated him, every single thing was irritating him as the fever took over. He had rolled up the window and switched on the AC as the windscreen fogged. 

Upon reaching home, he changed to his comfy casuals and didn't bother himself to bathe, feeling cold. He had plopped himself on the mattress, as his head felt heavy and sleep was far away, just then the doorbell rang. Once, twice, thrice and multiple times by now. He reluctantly got up and opened the door. 

"Kya hai?" he barked and stepped aside when she entered. 

"Tu phone kyu.. Sidharth tu theek hai?" she was almost barking back at him for not receiving her calls, but then his drained face made her change her words. She had just returned and she saw his car entering the compound. She had tried calling him but he didn't pick up so she landed up here. She cupped his face with her right hand and it almost burned when she touched him.