PART 26

Shehnaaz felt great, so did Sidharth, they had a delightful smile on as they slept peacefully. Life and surroundings were the same yet in a different manner, they were the same yet quite special and caring now. The constant ringing of the doorbell woke Sidharth, he walked past his living room grumping and glancing at the wall clock. It was 9 am! Who was at the door so early, on a sunday morning! 

"Mom?" He was surprised to see RitaJi at the door. He welcomed her with a hug. A tight one. His sleepy face immediately glowed with this wonderful surprise. She would hardly visit him, or say she had only been in his apartment thrice, in the two years he had been living here. He would always visit her on weekends so she didn't need to visit his place but this time she had reasons to show up. 

"Where's your phone? Kal se call kar rahi hu.. Ghar bhi nahi aaya tu!" she complained, when he didn't let her go. 

"Good morning Mom!" he wished. 

"Last moment, ek meeting arrange ho gayi.. Toh phone silent pe tha.. Sorry.." he added. She felt his temperature slightly warmer than normal. 

"Bukhar hai bache?" she asked. 

"Hmm.. Thoda sa Mom..you know mai thoda sa bhi bheeg jata hu toh ho jata hai.. I'm quite better now.. " he revealed. 

"Isliye mujhe bechaini si ho rahi thi kal.. Itni barish nahi hui hoti toh aa jati mai kal hi.." she spoke worriedly and then threw questions at him then - if he had any medicines? Why didn't he call her if he wasn't feeling well? Why didn't he ask her to come over? How did he manage with those headaches he gets? He answered all her questions saying he managed it all himself and asked her to sit while he freshens up, Typical mother, isn't she? Getting madly anxious about her child, even when he's grown up. 

Rita Ji wasn't convinced though. Sidharth, her only child, had given her a hard time during his childhood. He would always catch cold during such inclement weather and would always fuss about, when his body ached. She arranged plates on the dining table for the two of them and waited for her son to return. He was a grown up but never did his habit of taking long time in the bathroom had changed, he better not be smoking inside! She frowned at the thought. Sidharth was so used to cigarettes that he'd often lit up them in his bedroom and his mother would always scold him for that, so he had made bathroom another spot to hide from his mother's wrath. And whom did he learn that from? His father! The duo were two spoiled cheat buddies who'd cover for each other when she used to get angry. The doorbell rang, toring her out of her thoughts. 

"Good morning Sidh.." There was a girl, a young and beautiful girl, dressed in a sweatshirt and loose pants and a covered plate in her hands. Shehnaaz had thought of getting her dear boyfriend early morning breakfast, she knew he'd go to mother's place but after she saw his car still in the lobby, she instantly planned a breakfast with him. She had not expected a lady to open the door, so checked the name plate if she was at the right place or not, C- 805, Dr. Sidharth Shukla. Yep, that's him. 

"Umm.. Aap Sidharth ke Mumma ho? Namaste Auntie.." she said, bowing her head shortly as she couldn't join her hands. The lady in front of her had the same eyes as him, enough to recognise who she must be. 

"Namaste.. Aur aap?" Rita Ji returned the gesture and asked her. 

"Mai.. Shehnaaz.. I'm a..uh..friend.. Mai samne wali building me rehti hu.. Vo Sidharth ki tabiyat theek nahi thi toh mai parathe layi thi.." she nervously replied. Not knowing how the lady would feel after seeing an unknown girl getting her son breakfast. 

"Come in then!" Rita Ji motioned her hand, stepping aside. 

"Yeah.." Shehnaaz nodded and kept the plate on the table. Rita Ji walked in to knock at her son's bedroom while Shehnaaz stood next to the coffee table in the living room.