PART 20

Sidharth couldn't get the image of Shehnaaz crying out of his head because they were his undoing. It was Sunday, a cloudy and windy one. He had just reached his mother's place and was taking a shower. He wondered if Shehnaaz would miss him, or she'd be happy that he didn't show his face in the morning today. It was the worst feeling, when the only person you talk to feels raged and annoyed with your presence. Everytime he looked at her, the pain in her eyes, her trembling lips and her unwillingness to answer him hurt him. He didn't expect her to forgive him any soon either, he knew he deserved her wrath and hate. Because self respect comes first, but what if she never agreed to forgive him? What if she doesn't find is he trustworthy anymore? There isn't any way that can make her forgive him, it's totally on her. She's been through quite tough things already, he had only added more to her list was what he thought. 

Tune dil toda hai mera.. Mai kabhi nahi aaungi terrace pe tere sath... Her words were still haunting him. Just as she had told, she never appeared on the terrace. He sighed sadly, after realising that he surely kept his record of disappointing people. 

He stepped out of the shower and came out of his room, dressed casually, to have brunch with his mother. She was in the kitchen, blabbering something to herself. She would do that sometime, talking to herself while preparing food. He smiled at her cute habit. 

"Chalo.. Chawal chadha diya.. Everything's almost done.." Rita Ji said and noticed his presence. 

"Aj Lata nahi aayi?" he asked her, leaning against the kitchen door. 

"Um-hmm.. Uske ghar pe shadi hai.. Do din ki chutti li hai usne.. Kal se aayegi.." she answered. 

"Doesn't smell like chicken.. Kya banaya hai aapne?" he entered the kitchen, opening the vessel's lid. 

"Malai kofte.." his mother grinned. He took the serving spoon from her hands and scooped a piece out into a small plate to taste. 

"Umm.." he moaned at it's taste and curled his index finger under his thumb in appreciation, his mother was an amazing cook indeed. 

She smiled and asked him to help her, "Chal plates lekar ja table pe.. Mai sabzi lati hu.." she said. 

"Aap lao na.. Mai taste kar raha hu.." he said and chewed ignorantly. Rita Ji gasped at his laziness and angrily spat her palm over his back. 

"Taras nahi aata na apni Ma pe! Kabhi kabhi toh lagta hai.. Tu mujhse milne aata hai ya khana khane! Kaisi aulaad mili hai.." she shook her head and headed out of the kitchen carrying the vessel. 

"Mazak kar raha tha meri Ma..La raha hu yaar.." he chuckled at her melodrama and brought plates and a water filled jug for them. 

"Tu kal ghar kyu nahi aaya? I was expecting you!" she asked, serving them. 

"Vo..uh.. Hospital me emergency aa gayi thi.." he lied to her. He was about to come home last night but the plan changed when Shehnaaz didn't arrive in time and after the argument they had, it fucked his mind. 

"Kya hua beta?" she asked him, gaining his attention. 

"Ha? Kuch nahi Mom.." he shrugged and continued eating. Rita Ji could however notice that he wasn't okay by the way he was quiet. Because he usually had things to tell her every time they met but today, he seemed worried. 

"Toh ghar pe sab thik hai?" he asked, starting a simple conversation. After brunch, he helped his mother was cleaning the table and they sat on the veranda, enjoying the rain while she sat on a chair behind him and massaged his head. 

"Bache..sab thik hai na..? Tu pareshan lag raha hai mujhe.." Rita Ji finally said. He smiled slowly, he really cannot hide anything from his mother after she reads his face and mind like a pro. And about the answer, everything was fine and going the same way it used to before he met Shehnaaz. But without her, nothing was okay.