PART 35

Sidharth had slept in his mother's lap after their long conversation and his phone lay in his car, ringing continuously. When he found his phone the next day, it was switched off with the dead battery so he threw it back in the passenger seat. After his mother's grateful words, he was feeling boosted up to patch up with his crazy, hot- headed girl. 

On reaching the hospital, he asked Akbar if he had a charger and put his phone to charge before going ahead with his day. A 31-year-old intoxicated, unrestrained male was brought in by ER after crashing his car into a truck. On arrival he was hemodynamically appropriate. He complained of right arm and abdominal pain. Primary survey revealed no deficits while the secondary survey revealed tenderness over the anterior chest wall and the right upper quadrant of the abdomen. His right upper extremity had an obvious deformity with motion limited by pain but with no vascular compromise. A chest X-ray was obtained in the trauma bay which only demonstrated a single right side fourth rib fracture. The patient's physical exam was complicated by alcohol intoxication and therefore underwent CT imaging of his brain, chest, abdomen, pelvis, and spine column to rule out life threatening injuries. Dr.Sidharth and team decided to first treat the duodenal trauma with an exploratory laparotomy. Prior to the start of the operation we discussed the aortic injury with anesthesia and emphasized the need for heart rate and blood pressure control. An omental patch was secured in overlay over the repair and a nasogastric tube was kept in place. At the completion of the duodenal repair, the patient remained hemodynamically normal and demonstrated no signs of hypothermia or instability. He seemed physiologically appropriate to tolerate the second procedure. At this point, a joint team of vascular and cardiothoracic surgery proceeded to repair the thoracic aorta in the same setting. 

It was noon, 2pm to be exact when Sidharth and Akbar were having lunch as usual. Devi used to join them sometimes, like today. Talking about how worked up she is in between her hospital and family, Devi was bitching about her mother-in-law and relatives making the boys laugh. Sidharth switched on his phone while talking to them and gasped, finding 18 missed calls and 11 messages, all from the one and only Shehnaaz. Oh shit! Is she okay?

'Sidharth.. phone utha!'

'Mai kal subha gusse me thi isiliye tere se pehle nikal gayi.. Baby talk to me..'

'Baat kar mere se..! Kaha hai tu? Ghar kyu nahi aaya.. 1 baj gaya..'

'Hospital me hai ya ghar gaya hai?'

'Mere se aur ignore ni hora.. Meri feelings samajh.. Mai aage se aise kabhi nahi bolungi tujhe kabhi.. Tu bhi ignore mat kar yaar.. Tune nahi batana.. Its ok.. Lekin meko baat karni hai..'

'Aaj shaam ko ayega mujhe lene ke liye.. I'll wait & please call me back..!'

There were so many messages, all of them made him content that she wasn't mad at him anymore and stupid feel of himself that he didn't charge his phone earlier. 

"Mai aata hu abhi.." he excused himself from his friends and came out so that he could talk to her, somewhere in private. 

"Hello..Sidharth.." she received and her voice fell into his ears after some 36 hours. It felt so good. 

"Shehnaaz.. Sweetheart.. I'm so sorry, mera phone kal raat se dead pada hai.. I had no idea that you'd be calling me.." he apologized straight away. 

"Huh! Phone dead tha.. Kal poore time phone dead tha?" she quired. Her tone was dead serious. 

"Nahi.. Raat se bola maine.." he corrected. 

"Then why didn't you call me earlier? I was waiting!" she retorted, pretty loud.