PART 22

Sidharth was in his cabin when the intercom buzzed, informing him about an emergency. A 25-year-old male was transferred to the ER after a high-energy motor-vehicle collision. At first evaluation, he was haemodynamically unstable with sinus tachycardia. After a bolus infusion, the patient responded rapidly to the infusion of 1 lt of Ringer's solution and his hemodynamic condition was stabilized. 

"Heart rate 90 and blood pressure is 80 mmHg.." the nurse reported Dr. Sidharth. At the physical exam, he had a mild left upper quadrant abdominal pain without signs of peritonitis and mild pelvic tenderness without instability. His airway, lungs and brain presented no clinical radiological damage. Further evaluation for injuries showed a complete displaced right femoral shaft fracture causing deformity. 

"He's stable now.. We'll evaluate him one last time before going for NOM.." he announced. Non-operative management was an option to treat patients who had normal blood flow, which meant an evenly pumping heart and good blood circulation. Surgery wasn't necessary in such cases. 

"Are you sure you sir? There's still bleeding in the pelvis!" a junior asked, considering the fact that NOM could be challenging too. 

"Can be controlled.. Interventional radiology.." he answered. 

"Sir.. Ummm.. Liver bhi injured hai.. Baad me blood pressure badh gaya toh?" the junior doubtfully asked. Sidharth had a small smile behind his mask, for this quick observer, but too late to ask in the ER.

"That's why we'll be doing continuous angiography.. ye arteries ke blood flow ko check karega.." he answered again and the procedure began. Keeping an eye on the angiograms, Micro-coils were infused to stop bleeding. On the check angiography, the bleeding had stopped and the patient remained haemodynamically stable. The duration of the procedure was 80 minutes. The procedure was well-tolerated, successful and without any complications. 

Done with his day, Sidharth left in time to pick up Shehnaaz from her academy. It was 8, he wished he didn't make her wait too long. Also, on unlocking his phone he found that she hasn't texted him since afternoon. He had just pulled his car into the road when her name chimed on his phone. 

"Hey.. I'm on my way.." he answered before she could ask where he was. 

"Nahi! Mat ja.. Mai academy nahi gayi aaj.." she replied urgently, feeling bad that she forgot to inform him. 

"Bataya kyu nahi?" he asked, she never forgot to inform him. Actually, she used to text him all the time, so she never really forgot to inform him about anything. 

"Hmm.. Bhool gayi.. Sorry.." she mumbled seemingly lost somewhere. Strange. 

"Sana! Tu kaise manage isko? And whom are you talking to? Answer me!" he heard a sharp and shrill voice over the phone, while he was turning his car. It was her roommate, shouting. 

"Arohi mu band rakhegi do minute!" Shehnaaz replied, grunting against her high pitch. 

"All okay?" he asked when it seemed like the two were fighting. 

"Ha.. Mai teko baad me batati hu.." Shehnaaz answered, back in her low voice. 

"Is that Sidharth? Did you tell him? Meri baat karwa ussey!" Arohi demanded loudly. 

Before he could ask what was happening, Shehnaaz immediately disconnected the call. What could it be? A thought crossed his mind to call her back but he dismissed it. It could be something between the girls, they were roommates and they could fight over their issues. Or was there anything serious he should have known? Should he text her at least? He simply drove faster home to get a clearer picture.