Jack The Ripper

Warning: Details of the Black Butler version of the Jack the Ripper murders described in this chapter, along with other things such as organs in jars and a basement with corpses, you have been warned.

Encased in the envelope was a letter from the Queen herself and another addressed to Arthur Randall that Y/N was to give to him later that day. Apparently the Queen was set on hiring Y/N, even if she refused a face-to-face meeting with her. She wrote that it made Y/N seem very brave and mysterious: not just anyone would deny the Queen so she must've had some form of either great bravery or extreme stupidity. Further down in the letter the Queen stated that she would order Lord Randall to hire more officers and have them patrol the streets at night. She had already approved funding and had heard from Earls Grey and Phipps that lack of protection for the lower class was what had been causing Y/N to refuse her. "In the end, she always seems to get what she wants without hardly batting an eye," Y/N thought as she continued to read the letter. Working for the Queen was also going to pay handsomely once Y/N agreed to meet with her and discuss a method of payment. Y/N was practically being offered anything she wanted in return for service. That was one thing she was pretty sure the Queen would actually stick to. As long as she perceived Y/N as somehow lesser than her and maybe a tame dog on a leash, Y/N could count on being paid. If she was being honest with herself, Y/N saw no downside to this arrangement: the less fortunate would still receive protection and she would finally start earning some money. "Sounds like a 'win win' situation to me," Plus, she already knew how most of the cases ended so she knew who she could and couldn't trust. 

Y/N heard the Undertaker laugh behind her as he watched the cogs turn in her head. She knew he had been reading over her shoulder, "Besides, Sebastian reads all of the letters she sends to Ciel, or Ciel reads them out loud to him so there shouldn't be any harm in letting the Undertaker read mine," Y/N rationalized as she put her letter back into the original envelope. "So, are ya taking the job?" Both of them already knew the answer to that question.

"Yes, I am, I'm not stupid," Y/N sighed, "She can have me killed or have my identity revealed should I refuse and besides, there are more pros than cons." This caused the Undertaker to laugh again. Y/N knew he still didn't understand that she knew exactly what she was signing up for.

"That job might not be as luxurious as you think," he warned her, his signature smile spread across his face.

"Oh I know," Y/N smirked, "It would be far too boring if I didn't have to do a little work."

Y/N knew Alice would panic if she woke up and Y/N was yet to return from her patrol so she had the Undertaker slide a note under the pub door. 

Was out late, things went bad with an abuser, staying with the Undertaker. Making sure everything will be okay before I come back. See you by tonight. Sorry for not coming back sooner, I'll make it up to you!

-Y/N

The note was short but it quickly explained what had happened and where Y/N was, and it was in her handwriting so Alice hopefully wouldn't worry too much. The Undertaker had been kind enough to deliver the note for her so Y/N had waited patiently for him to return to his Parlor. As she waited, she looked around. Nothing was out of place from how she remembered it. Coffins littered the floor, cracks crept up the walls, waxy candles dimly lit the room, and glass bottles filled with organs and other things of that sort lined the walls and shelves. Any normal person would have probably left in a hurry, afraid of possibly having one of their organs on display, but not Y/N. She was perfectly content. She had wanted to stand in this room for so long it would've been a waste to leave on account of being spooked by some brain or heart floating in a jar! Y/N inspected the coffins, wondering which one would serve as her bed for the night. Just as she was beginning to work her fingers under the lid of a coffin she heard the Undertaker return to his shop. She let the coffin close and asked which one would serve as her not-so-permanent resting place. She was ushered over to an empty one which was lying on the floor, "This one, if you don't mind, I haven't a propa' guest room, don't get many folks staying the night," he chuckled again as he opened the lid for her. Y/N didn't hesitate to climb inside and lay down. This surprised the Undertaker a little bit; he'd never seen a human practically jump into a coffin like a cat would pounce into a box. He laughed again at the thought of Y/N as a little kitten rather than as the Lion she was.