chapter thirty six

Rafe was right: it did get better.
At least we were happy and our relationship felt better than ever before. We were trying to forget all the bad things that we'd went through for most of our time together, only focusing on the future and what actually mattered: to be happy.

Safety, on the other hand was not a luxury that I could afford. That was the factor that ruined everything my mother and I tried to build in the Outer Banks.

One night, I was hiding under my sheets, ignoring the warmth that was enveloping me, hoping that I could wake up from this nightmare.
The sound of a window breaking downstairs made me sit up, run into my closet and grab the largest backpack I had. I had to keep calm, as I was prompting myself to quickly think about the necessities I had to take with me.
"Only the necessities." I whispered, trying to remind myself that I had to leave the photos that littered my room. My room had to look like nothing ever happened.

The door opened slightly, making me freeze. I instantly relaxed, though, as I realized that it was my mother, who was trying to keep calm, as well.
"We have to go. NOW." She tried to keep quiet. I nodded, opening the window Rafe always used to leave my house without being seen by my mother.
I held her hand, helping her jump on the roof, while I followed, silently closing the window after myself.
We climbed down the side of the house, running towards her car. I exhaled shakily as I watched my house get smaller the further we drove.
"We're going to be alright, Y/n." My mother said, grabbing my hand and squeezing it affectionately. I nodded, thinking about Rafe, about Sarah, about the Pogues.
What are they going to think happened?

     Meanwhile, Rafe was out partying with Kelce, Topper was doing God know what with his sister, even though he knew they were going through some bad shit and he was trying to get her back.
     He had a bad feeling about something, but he couldn't quite place his finger on it. He tried to figure it out, but nothing that could be going wrong came to his mind.

     The next day, he woke up at noon, which was unusual, since Y/n would call him to come over every day. He wanted to call her this time, for whatever reason wanting to hear her voice, even though they saw each other the day before, but he chose to call her later, maybe she was sleeping in.

     After some time, he couldn't resist anymore, so he put his phone to his ear, waiting for her to answer. It never came. He furrowed his eyebrows, she always had her phone with her. He tried to call her again and again, but still no answer.

     Parking his car in front of her house, he noticed the broken window next to the door, making his eyebrows furrow further.
     He knocked on the door, but after hearing nothing back, he tried to open it by himself and he entered her house. Running up the stairs, he found her room in perfect condition, but she wasn't there.
     Rafe waited some time in her room, trying to call her again and finding her phone under her pillow.

     "Where are you, Y/n?" He asked quietly, slightly worried, but the thought of her leaving and not telling him appeared out of thin air, making him turn angry at her disappearance.
     "She must've left with my sister and that fucking pogue." He thought, before punching the pillow that was still on his lap.

A/n: Hello!! So since there's a new season of OBX waiting for me on Netflix, I decided to kind of end the first part of the book, that would be taking part during the first season.
     I've got some things planned for the next parts, which are going to be related to the 2nd season, but I'm going to write them after I'd watched it.
     !!! PLEASE DON'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE SECOND SEASON I DON'T WANT ANY SPOILERS !!!