chapter sixteen

I woke up to an empty bed, but I remember Rafe telling me he had to go somewhere before he left my house.

After eating my breakfast, I met with my cousins at the beach. They practically begged me to go to the kook party that was being thrown later that day. I couldn't refuse them, even though I wasn't in the mood to get drunk and sweaty. I would've rather chosen to stay at home and watch a movie with Rafe. He probably would've been there anyways, so I didn't see why I would say no.

Here we were, sitting in my car with my cousins and their friends. Andrew sat shotgun, Ben in the seat behind him and Lana had her legs around her boyfriend. I drove as quickly as I could, not wanting them to start doing something else in the backseat.

As soon as I parked next to the beach, the loud music  called us to join the crowd of drunk teens. I lost my cousins after the first foot we sat on the beach, but I didn't mind it, looking for Rafe.

I found him standing in the middle of a crowd, talking to Kelce and Topper. I made my way towards them, smiling when he noticed me. His pupil were dilated, which made me look at his nose. It was red and it had a bit of white powder around it. I sighed when I was near enough for him to hear me. He furrowed his eyebrows, not knowing what was wrong.

Instead of going in for a kiss, I only stood in front of him. He laughed, thinking I was teasing him or something, but when my eyes glared into his, he knew there was something obviously wrong.

"What's wrong, baby?" He asked, his voice full of concern.

"Are you high?" I demanded, I knew I shouldn't act like this, but I couldn't help it. It wasn't healthy, and if his father found out about it, he'd get in a lot of trouble, more than ever before. Rafe only rolled his eyes in response, making me even angrier. "Answer me, Rafe."

"So what if I am? It's none of your business." He shrugged carelessly, making me scoff.

"Let's talk privately. Come with me." I said, taking his hand and pulling him behind me. Instead of following me, he pulled me backwards, making me struggle to keep myself standing.

"I don't want to go anywhere, if you don't want to talk with me here, then maybe we shouldn't talk." I scoffed, why was he acting like this? Did he want people to listen to our fight?

"Okay then. Why are you doing this?" I asked him, trying to keep my voice low, not wanting to attract any unwanted attention.

"Why am I doing what?"

"Why are you sniffing cocaine, Rafe?" He groaned, running his hands aggressively through his hair.

"Because I want to! I'm my own person, Y/n! I don't need to explain everything I do! For once in my life, let me do what I want without having to say why I'm doing it!" He put his hands on my shoulders, moving me with every sentence.

"I just want you to be safe! I'm trying to help you!" I couldn't keep my voice down anymore, he didn't realize how much drugs could fuck up his life.

"You think you can fucking fix me?" He paused, searching my face for any sign of how I felt. I kept my face straight, not wanting to show him how much he hurt me. "I can guarantee you that I wouldn't do shit for you, princess." I scoffed, turning around to leave. I didn't want to cause a bigger scene. If that was how he felt, even after everything, then he'd be better off without me. I knew the drugs were talking, not him, but he let them.

He grabbed my shoulder to stop me, turning me back around. I scrunched up my eyebrows, not expecting him to act like this.

"So now you're leaving?"

"What do you want me to do? Should I stay here, even though I know I'm not wanted?" I tried to keep my façade up, to cover my actual feelings.

"Okay then." He paused, turning around to talk to everyone, making me gasp. I knew he wasn't up to something good. "I think it's the best time to tell everyone that our relationship wasn't real. It was all fake. I don't fucking like her and I'm happy to announce that I'll never have to speak to her again."

I felt myself shake, tears furiously running down my face. I couldn't move my legs anymore, but if I could've, I would've ran away immediately.

"Y/n?" I heard a very familiar voice ask me from far away, even though he was just in front of me. I heard him call my name again. I still felt like I couldn't move, but everything around me shook. My eyes were now tight shut, not being able to open them. What was happening?

"Y/n? Baby?" Rafe's voice got even louder, enveloping me. "Y/n, please wake up." Wake up? Wasn't I awake?

I forced myself to open my eyes, to see everything disguised in darkness. I looked around the room, trying to understand what was happening, but the moment my gaze met Rafe's concerned one, I instantly calmed down. I was in my room, at home, with Rafe standing over me.

"Are you okay?" His voice wavered, showing me how anxious he actually felt. "You were crying and wouldn't wake up." I immediately pushed myself up, against the headboard of my bed.

"What- what happened?" I mumbled as Rafe raised his hand to brush my tears away.

"I think you had a nightmare, love." I looked into his eyes, remembering everything. "Do you want to talk about it?" I avoided his gaze, but he put his other hand under my jaw, making me look at him.

"Are you sure you want to?" I asked shyly, I didn't want to fight. He nodded confidently, gestruing for me to start talking.

Author's Note: Hi!! This chapter's a bit of a mess, but I got the idea to turn it into a dream on the way. Hope you enjoyed it!!