chapter twenty eight

I haven't had my phone wake me up in quite some time, but I was grateful for it to happen once again.

I slightly raised my head from my pillow, reaching over to grab my phone from its place on my nightstand. I answered, slightly anxious to ask her why she called me this early in the day.

"Finally." She said, I could hear the excitement in her voice. "I was starting to think that you weren't going to pick up." I snorted at her words, but let her continue. "Come to the Chateau."

"Why- why would I-" I started, but she cut me off.

"Oh, come on, Y/n. You need to get out of the house. Everyone's fine with you coming. I promise." I sighed, not sure if I was ready to uncover some memories.

"I'll be there." I said before hanging up and starting to do my makeup and hair.

——

The Cut hadn't changed at all. The streets were the same, the same people who used to walk around when I used to live here were still wondering around. I felt weird going back here, but it was kind of reassuring to know that some things stayed the same.

I pulled into the Chateau's driveway, seeing John B's van parked there. I walked slowly towards door, trying to build up my confidence. I haven't been here in such a long time, that everything seemed smaller, probably because I was still a child when I left this place.

I pushed the door, jumping slightly at the loud creak it made. The voices inside the room stopped, everyone waiting for me to appear from the other side of the door.

I smiled sheepishly at them, "Hi. Thank you for letting me come over." John B shrugged, waving me off.

"It's nothing. We heard what happened." I nodded, automatically going to sit next to him on the couch. Sarah was on his other side, smiling widely at me.

We'd been talking for a while, until JJ and Pope entered the Chateau. They stopped when we made eye contact. I haven't talked to them in years.

"New people." JJ teased, smiling at me. I shook my head, looking at him in silence. He'd changed so much.

"Apparently I had to get out of the house." I shrugged, gesturing to Sarah, who laughed at my words.

"How've you been, Y/n?" I turned my head towards Pope. I smiled warmly at him. He hasn't changed one bit. He was still the same gentleman he's always been.

"This summer's been wild, but I'm holding on. What about you?" I returned the question, genuinely interested in his answer.

"A bit stressed about going to college, but I'm dealing with it."

"That's good."

——

We hung around John B's house for a while, until we decided to go to the beach. We went to the side that I hadn't seen in a long time, ever since I'd moved away from here. John B let me burrow one of his surf boards, seeing as I didn't have one anymore.

It took me some time until I finally regained my balance on the board, this being the first time in years that I'd found the time to go out and surf.

Time flew by quicker than expected, so I found myself on my way back home a few hours after the sun set. I finally remembered how it felt like to be a Pogue and I wouldn't have traded it for anything else.

Author's Note: Hi!! So this is kind of like a filler chapter, but it's also a sort of an introduction. More drama coming soon!!