chapter twenty nine

I was packing a backpack to stay overnight at Sarah's place. We'd been hanging out everyday with the Pogues for the last week or so, but she wanted us to have a girls' night.

    I put the bag in the backseat of my car, turning on the music, driving towards John B's house. We met there, leaving what I'd packed on his couch, before going on the boat.

——
    We spent all day out, tanning and swimming around, but when it was time to go back to our houses, I hopped out of the boat to go to the Chateau to get my backpack. Everyone was waiting for me to come back, so John could take us home. I'd left my car there, knowing I'd get it back tomorrow.

    As soon as the boat pulled into Sarah's dock, we saw Rafe walking towards their yacht. He stopped when we made eye contact, but I sat up quickly, wanting to get out of the boat and as far away from him as possible. Of course I lost my balance, nearly falling. I was thankful that Pope helped me keep myself up, offering me his hand to get onto the dock without losing my balance once again. Rafe followed me with his gaze, burning a hole through my back, where Pope's hand supported me.

    As soon as my feet touched the wood, I grabbed Sarah's hand and pulled her after me, passing Rafe without even looking at him.

——

    We had a lot of fun listening to music and doing our makeup. We found photo albums, from when we were younger. I wasn't expecting so many pictures of Rafe and I, but there were nearly as many as of Sarah and I.

    I didn't realize that we'd actually been friends at some point, but after the whole ordeal with my mom losing everything and having to move to the Cut and finally returning to Figure Eight, he started saying mean things to me. I never figured out why he'd started hating me, but it didn't bother me too much.

——

    A knock on the door made us end our conversation suddenly. It slowly opened, revealing Rose.

    "Sarah, could you come down for a second?" She stood up from the bed, giving me a quick apology before closing the door after her.

    I grabbed my phone, checking my notifications, waiting for her to come back. The door opened, but I didn't turn around to check who was on the other side, thinking it was my best friend.

    "We need to talk." His voice made my head snap in the direction of the sound. I stood up, wrapping my arms around me.

    "We don't. You need to leave." He shook his head, scoffing.

    "I made a mistake. I've never done anything like this before. I swear." I laughed dryly at his words.

    "There's no way I can be sure about that." I paused, finally allowing myself to look at him. "And you shouldn't have ever done it anyways."

    "I was drunk and high. I wasn't thinking straight."

    "Stop trying to come up with excuses-" He cut me off, his tone louder than before.

    "Stop acting like you're all high and mighty." I groaned, my hands rubbing my face in annoyance.

    "You don't get to make me feel bad for something that isn't my fault. You've made me feel like I wasn't enough. When, in reality, you weren't good enough-" His powerful scoff made me stop for a second. "If you'd have been good enough, you wouldn't have done that." He shook his head, opening his mouth to make a remark, but Sarah entered the room.

    "Get out. Now." She said, holding the door open for him. He wordlessly left, leaving us alone. "Are you okay?" I nodded confidently, quickly changing the subject.

Author's Note: Hope you enjoyed this chapter!! It's kind of a mess, but it's building up to something, I promise!!