chapter twenty one

Something was off, but I couldn't tell exactly what. I was laying on my bed, looking up at the ceiling, wondering if Rafe was okay.

I knew where he was. He went back home, to finally face his dad. He wasn't sure if it was a good idea to meet his father, but I encouraged him to go. He couldn't hide forever, he'd have to do it some day anyways, so why not earlier rather than later?

I kept turning and pushing my blankets around, my mind going over every possible scenario, but many of them ended with him coming back here. These thoughts made me get out of bed and go to my window, opening it, in case I wouldn't wake up if Rafe came over. After I went back to my bed, looking around my room until my eyes grew heavy some time later, finally letting me go to sleep.

——

I felt the mattress shift, making me move further towards the other side of the bed. I raised my head to look at the man next to me, recognizing his perfume immediately.

"Hey, it's me." He whispered as his arms went around my waist. I nodded, trying to keep my eyes open. I felt him place a soft kiss on my jaw, making me smile.

"Is everything okay?" I asked, my voice still raspy. I felt him nod against my shoulder, his head resting in the crook of my neck, while his hand went to brush through my hair. He didn't say anything else, the both of us falling asleep in the silence and darkness of my room.

——

The next morning I saw Rafe's motorcycle outside of my home, finding out something that surprised me. His dad got it back for him. He seemed anxious as we ate our breakfast, which had become something unusual lately.

"Are you sure you're alright?" I asked him for what felt like the hundredth time these few hours. He raised his eyes from his cereal bowl, raising his eyebrows questioningly, making me try to explain myself. "It's just- I don't know- you look like you're pissed." He shrugged, spooning more cereal.

"I'm fine. I just don't know how my dad got my bike back." I nodded, deciding to leave the subject and turn to something lighter.

——

We were hanging around my pool when he received a call that made him jump out of his seat. I furrowed my eyebrows at his reaction, not knowing who was able to get such a reaction out of my boyfriend. He didn't say anything except for quickly apologizing for having to leave so quickly. I shrugged in response, not knowing what else to say.

——

I was wondering around the beach as the sun went down, needing some time alone, away from the noise of my hectic life.

I was looking at my feet, not paying attention to where I was going as I knocked into a stiff chest. I pulled away to look at the man's face. It shocked me when my eyes met Rafe's.

"R-Rafe? What are you doing here? I thought you were home." He shrugged angrily, glaring at me.

"Didn't know I had to constantly tell you what I'm doing." His words made me furrow my eyebrows furrow in concern. His eyes were incredibly red and his expression was shocked me.

"Are you- are you high?" I couldn't keep my voice down anymore, he couldn't keep doing this and then coming back to me asking for help.

"What if I am? I can do whatever I want."

"Then why do you ask me to help you if you're still going to do what you want?" My eyes glazed over, trying to keep the tears at bay, something incredibly hard for me when I was angry.

"You can leave if you feel like this is so hard for you." He said forefully, making me gasp. I wasn't in the mood to fight with him, so I turned around, leaving the beach and going back to my car. I broke down when I was in the comfort of my own space, Rafe's hoodie on the passenger's seat made my tears turn from anger into sadness and frustration.

Author's Note: Hi!! This part is quite short and I apologize, but the last few days have been incredibly tiring. This was also the reason why I didn't post, but I'm getting back into it!! I'm also mad bcs I got a guy's instagram and messaged him, but he left me on read so that was a fail. Hope you enjoyed though!!