chapter ten

The next few weeks had been too good to be true. Rafe and I haven't had a single fight, mostly because we were too tired to fight anymore and I wanted to help him feel more comfortable whenever he was with me, helping him find an escape from his life at home.

    Today found us on his father's yacht, along with Topper and Kelce. Sarah was nowhere to be found, but I knew she was hiding something from her boyfriend. She didn't tell me where she was, but I was certain that she was going to tell me when the time came.

    I was sunbathing and listening to music, while the boys were swimming around the boat. I felt my eyes grow heavy, welcoming the sleep that was about to envelop me, but the water droplets that hit my hot skin made me jolt awake.

    "What the fuck?" I groaned as I opened my eyes. I rubbed my face with my hands, glaring at Rafe. He laughed, laying his wet body on mine. He was incredibly cold, making me scream. "Get off, Rafe." I said, trying to push him off.

    He didn't move, his arms resting on either side of my head, keeping himself over me. I stopped as I made eye contact with him, his gaze held so much emotion, making me smile at the warm feeling that was enveloping me. He leant his head towards mine, slowly kissing my lips. Our moment was passionate, filled with something so close to love, that you couldn't tell it apart. Our lips moved in sync, perfectly with each other.

    "Get a room, you guys." Kelce laughed as he saw us. Rafe groaned, moving off of me. I smiled at my fake boyfriend, amused at his dramatic behavior.

——

    After our boat ride, we all came back to Rafe's house. I was getting worried, because Sarah hadn't replied to any of my messages all day. But before I'd sent her yet another one, she walked in through the front door. I exhaled quietly, relieved that she was okay. I sat up at the same time as Topper, whose face was already incredibly red from anger. He pierced her with his gaze, making her stop in her tracks.

    "Where have you been?" He yelled at her. Rafe and Kelce were unbothered, but I stepped in front of him, trying to protect Sarah.

    "Out. With some friends." I raised my eyebrows at her, seeing through her lie.

    "Why wasn't Y/n with you?"

    "I told her I had plans with you guys. And leave her alone, she's here now." Topper scoffed at my words, turning around and going back to his friends. Sarah nodded her head towards the stairs, quietly asking me to come after her. She mumbled a 'thank you' on the way to her room.

    "Where were you?"

    "Promise me you won't tell anyone. Not even Rafe. Especially not Rafe." I nodded slowly, sitting next to her on the bed. "I was with John B." My eyes widened, gasping loudly, but covering my mouth with my hand.

    "You were- what?"

    "He needed my help to get into the archives. It was so fun! We sneaked on a tug boat, we dressed up extremely fancy and then we acted like some incredibly rich people!" She was so excited, making it hard for me to keep from smiling.

    "I thought you've never spoken to him."

    "I know, but today was incredible! And I- I kissed him- we kissed, actually. But Topper can't find out."

    "Of course not. Do you like him, you know like really like him?" She smiled, nodding.

    "I think so. I felt so comfortable with him, you know? I thought he was just a generic surfer dude, but he's so much more than that." I smiled at her. She had the right to find happiness, even if that meant life with a Pogue.