chapter thirty four

Rafe left around noon to go back home, to get something from his room.
     After eating lunch with my mom, I drove her to the airport. She had to leave for a month on some business things she had to do.
     As soon as I got home I texted Rafe, telling him that I was going to be home alone for a month, which I found really exciting. He didn't respond to my message, making me believe that something was up.

     Meanwhile, Rafe got home quickly, going straight to his room to get whatever he needed. Before he could leave, his dad walked in, closing the door loudly.
     "You're useless." It was obvious Ward was drunk.      
     "It's your fault this family is going down. I've worked so hard for you to just come in here and destroy everything."
     "What the fuck-" Rafe started, but Ward didn't let him finish.
     "Y/n is only hanging around because she needs our power. Why do you think she copes with all the shit you've pulled? She doesn't love you. She loves our money." Rafe's eyes darkened. It made sense. It all clicked in his mind: why else would she come back to him after everything they've been through.
     Ward finally left his room, leaving Rafe sitting on his bed, fuming at the thought of Y/n.
     He then remembered everything he ever did with her, every beautiful memory, every fight. She always took him back and now it all made sense to him.

     I was laying on the couch in the living room, wondering why Rafe didn't reply to my texts. We've been okay when he left. Did something happen? So I called him. He didn't answer. I did that the rest of the afternoon, but he didn't answer.
     After hours of waiting for a response, I decided I had to go check on him.
     I knocked on his door, but once again, no answer, so I opened it. As soon as I entered his room I wanted to leave. The gorgeous eyes I usually got lost in were incredibly dark.
     "What's wrong, Rafe?" He didn't say anything. "You're scaring me."
     "We can't keep this up forever." His words came out like a growl.
     "No, don't hurt me like this. Not again, Rafe." He only shook his head. "Why?" He wasn't even looking at me anymore, angering me. What did I do to make him hate me this much. "You can't really blame me, can you? You can only blame yourself." Silence. "You're breaking my heart, Rafe." He scoffed.
     "I don't believe it."
     "Is this a game to you?" I sighed. "I always knew I would end up being the one who got hurt." I turned my back to him, opening the door and leaving. My vision blurred, trying to blink away the tears.
     Being too focused on trying not to cry, I didn't see the last few steps as I went down the staircase and I stumbled, falling to the floor. I landed on my right hand, but before I could stand up, I heard Rafe's door open. He was looking down at me from the top of the stairs. I could see his concerned eyes skin over my body. He opened his mouth to say something, but I cut him off.
     "I'm okay, it was just a fall." I stood up, turning to leave.
     "You don't seem okay." I heard him say as he was coming towards me quickly. Those were the last things I heard before my vision darkened and I became light headed, loosing my balance and falling.
     I opened my eyes to see Rafe holding my head on his lap, his eyes going over my features. I closed my eyes again, not being able to opened them anymore.
     "No, no, stay awake. Stay awake, Y/n. Baby, open your eyes for me." I couldn't. I tried, but I couldn't.

     I was finally able to open my eyes and the light that enveloped me shocked me, to say the least.
     "She's awake." I moved my eyes towards the nurse who was standing by my head, checking my eyes.
     "Hi, Y/n. I'm your doctor. You fell down the stairs. Your right arm is fractured, but I'm pleased to announce you that your vitals are good. You fainted, but it was expected, from all the pain the fracture caused you.
     I sighed, nodding. I started looking around, remembering that Rafe had been there with me.
     "Are you looking for the boy who brought you in?" I nodded. "He wanted to stay next to you while we checked you, but he had a panic attack, so we asked him to wait outside. Do you want me to bring him back in?" I nodded.
     As soon as I saw him, my breath left my lungs. His whole face was wet, his eyes red and puffy. He'd been crying. As soon as he reached my bed, he sighed.
     "Thank God you're okay." I grimaced, looking at my arm. "When you didn't wake up I thought I was going to lose you." He started breathing heavily. I put my good hand on his, trying to comfort him, even though I was the one who needed to be comforted right now. "I'm so sorry. For everything I'd said. I had a fight with my dad and he said some things I couldn't help but believe." I closed my eyes, trying to think of something to say. He didn't let me, though. "I don't know what it is about you, but I don't want to lose it, because I know I'll never be able to find it in anyone else, Y/n. I know my family hates me and I don't care, but I just can't have you hate me. And I'm sorry I did this to you. You came to check up on me and I ruined your arm."
     "You can't do this to me again." He looked at my right arm. "I'm not talking about the fracture. I don't know how much my heart can go through, I don't need you breaking it every two seconds."

Author's Note: Very angsty and unexpected!! Hope you enjoyed it!! If you have any prompts you'd like me to fit into my story feel free to write them in the comments!!