chapter thirty

This morning the most unexpected sound woke us up. Thunder had shaken up Sarah's house, making us angrily open our eyes. She was the first to grab her phone and check her notifications.

"John B said that we're not going anywhere today. There's a storm coming." My eyebrows furrowed, I didn't have my car with me. I had to walk back home.

"I'll get ready to go then. My mom will want me to get home before it starts." I said as I stood up from the bed, grabbing my clothes and going to the bathroom. I left the door open, to hear Sarah if she said anything to me.

"I'm afraid it's already started." Her voice was quiet, obviously concerned. "I don't know if you should walk alone."

"I'll be fine Sarah." I stuck my head out of the bathroom for a second to look at her as I replied. She sighed, making me smile.

As soon as I gathered my things, I made my way down the stairs, heading towards the front door.

"Text me when you get home." I heard Sarah say as I was walking down the sideway leading to the main street. I turned around, stopping for a second.

"I'll get there in 20 minutes-" I was cut off by a voice I didn't want to hear today- or any day, really.

"Let me drive you." Rafe said, moving from the doorway towards his car. I immediately shook my head.

"I'm fine. I can walk." I said curtly, turning around to leave them. He was already getting in his car, driving towards me. I tried to walk quicker, hating the idea of getting in the same car as him.

"Oh, come on. You shouldn't walk on your own. Especially now." He was driving next to me, moving slower than ever.

"I don't need you-" I started, but he once again cut me off.

"I know you don't. Let me do this. Please." The last word made me stop. I opened the door, slowly getting in his car.

"I'm only doing this because I want to get home quicker." I said, not looking at him at all. My eyes were fixed on the road in front of me. I knew he nodded, feeling his gaze on me.

A few minutes have passed in silence, making me wonder why he didn't say anything. Of course, he couldn't keep quiet any more, making me sigh.

"I'm sorry." I rolled my eyes, not saying anything in response. I didn't want to start another fight. "I need you to know that I'd never do that to you sober." I laughed dryly, catching him off guard.

"Are you ever sober, though?" He froze, not knowing what to say.

"I'm trying, Y/n." He said slowly, trying to keep his voice down.

"You're always trying, but never succeeding." He groaned, one of his hands going to his face, the other remaining on his steering wheel.

"At least I'm trying to change."

"You keep saying that. But you're never doing anything to change." He pulled into my driveway, stopping the car.

"I'm doing this for you."

"And it's not enough, is it?" I opened the door to his car, getting out and closing it quickly after me. I started walking towards my house, seeing my mother on the front porch. Her face lightened as we made eye contact, but her gaze moved to the man in the car as he opened the door.

"I knew you were going to make up. Every relationship has their ups and downs." I turned to look at him, shaking my head. "It's great that you're staying with us during the storm." My eyes widened, my hands rubbing my face nervously.

"He's leaving, mom." She turned to look at me, her eyes angrily searching my face.

"Of course he's not." He looked back at him. "You're staying. It's too dangerous to go back now." He smiled at her, coming to stand next to me. I quickly moved away from him, but he followed me.

I went straight to my room, not staying to talk to my mom or Rafe. I heard his footsteps behind me, making me look at him.

"I've nowhere else to go." He shrugged, as he walked behind me. I rolled my eyes, waiting for him to close the door.

"You're such an ass. I don't want to see you anymore and you're making it incredibly hard for me."

——
We stayed all day away from each other. I sat on my bed, checking my phone constantly, ignoring him. He sat on an armchair in the corner of my room, checking up on me once in a while by searching my face for any signs.

——
"I'm going to bed." I announced through a yawn, before going to the bathroom to brush my teeth. When I came back, I found Rafe still sitting on the armchair, looking at me. I stopped in the middle of the room, looking around for a second.

"I'm going to get you a few blankets. You're sleeping on the floor."

I gave him the blankets I'd collected from around the house, getting in the bed and throwing a pillow on the floor, where he laid down.

I turned the lights off, not saying anything to him, turning on my side, so I had my back to him.

I tried to fall asleep, I moved from a side to the other, to then lay on my back, then on my belly. I couldn't keep my eyes closed for more than 10 seconds, my mind constantly going to the man sleeping on my floor. I didn't hear him move at all, knowing that anything that would be coming from him would only rile me up even more. Even so, I kept thinking of what we had, making me feel bad for being alone on a bed big enough for the two of us.

After a while of trying to push these thoughts away, I sat up. I turned my head to look at him. He was laying on his back, his eyes open, staring at the ceiling. I sighed, before moving to the other side of the bed, making space for him.

"Come here." I whispered, gesturing to the empty side of the bed. I saw his eyebrows furrow in the dark, trying to find out if I was being serious or not. I sighed once again, "You can't sleep on the floor, come here."

"Are you sure?" His voice was quiet, making me feel a bit uncomfortable. He wasn't usually like this.

"We're not sleeping together, we're just sharing a bed." He nodded, before grabbing his pillow and a blanket and laying far away from me.

"Thank you." He said, turning on his side to look at me. I shrugged, turning my back to him.

That's when I finally fell asleep, content that he was at least a bit more comfortable.

Author's Note: Hi!! I'm sorry I didn't post there last few days, but I had a lot of things I had to do and I was really tired!! I really like this chapter, hope you enjoyed it as well!! If you have anymore suggestions feel free to comment!!