backstory

"My mom won't let me throw my birthday party on our yacht." I said as I laid on Sarah's bed. "She says that I'm going to sink it or something. As if I'm ten years old. Can you believe her?"

She laughed, "You can always do it on ours." I furrowed my brows, nodding. "That could work."

———

The loud music didn't help my headache as I took another shot of vodka, hoping that it'd help me ignore it. Everyone was everywhere, and I couldn't keep track of how many drinks everyone's had. Someone had smuggled drugs onto the boat, and now so many people were either passed out, or dancing on every surface available.

"Hey, Y/n" I turned towards Sarah, as she called me. "Do you mind if I leave with Topper?" I shook my head, thankful that she wasn't going to see what was happening on her boat. She hugged me before she grabbed his hand and left the party.

———

I exhaled shakily as the morning sun shone over the boat. There were at least a few chairs broken, a wall had a dent in it and someone had broken a window. I closed my eyes, trying to think of something I could come up with. I couldn't go to my mother, she'd say that she knew that was going to happen. What was I supposed to do? How was I supposed to pay for everything that'd been broken or stolen?

"Would you look at that!" I heard Rafe exclaim. My eyes widened as I turned to look at him. "My father will be pleased to know that his daughter's best friend has ruined his beloved yacht."

"No, no, please don't tell him. I'll fix it." I tried to say it as confidently as I could, but he saw right through me.

"And how are you going to do that, huh?" He laughed.

"I- uh- I don't know." My voice broke, all the stress was getting to me as my vision became blurry.

"I could help you-" He said, making me raise my eyes to his.

"Please! I'll do anything!"

"Anything?" He asked, remembering the fight he'd had with his father a few days ago.

"You have to get your shit together, Rafe." Ward had said. He only scoffed in response.

"As if I'm not trying to do that already."

"You have to try harder, son." Rafe rolled his eyes.

"How am I supposed to do that?"

"Find a girl who knows what she wants from life. It'll be easy, seeing as you're my son, and our family is powerful."

"And what if I don't?'"

"You'll kiss this fucking house goodbye. I don't care where you'll live, but I'll make sure it's far away from Figure Eight."

"Very well. You'll have to date me."

"W- What? What does this have to do with-" He cut me off, making me raise my eyebrows at him.

"My father said that I have to get a girlfriend who has her shit together. And seeing as you owe me, this is how you'll pay me back."

"Don't you hate me?"

"I do, but that doesn't matter right now. It'll be fake anyways." I nodded, making him continue. "We'll only hang out around my friends and my family, but we have to convince them we're in a relationship."

"Sarah has to know. I can't hide something like this from her." I told him, my brows furrowing as I thought about all of this."

"Sarah doesn't have to know shit. You won't tell her anything. She'll think what everyone else will think. That we're together." I scoffed at his words, it was my fault I was in this predicament anyways.

"We can't kiss." I whispered, hoping that he didn't hear me. But his laugh told me otherwise.

"Why? Are you scared you're going to fall in love with me, princess?" My serious face made him stop. "No way! You didn't have your first kiss?" His laughter was too loud, making me turn my back to him.

"Shit, I'm sorry." He said when he'd realized that I didn't find this funny.

"I'm sure you are." He grabbed my hand, turning me to face him once again. His hold on my wrist was soft, his long fingers carefully wrapping around it. My breath hitched in my throat as our faces were close, I could feel his breath on my face.

"I promise I won't kiss you."

Author's Note: Hi!! I'm sorry this is so short, I just needed to write the backstory. I won't completely follow the course of the series, because I don't want Rafe to be as horrible as he was made out to be. For example, he won't kill the sheriff. I hope you enjoyed it!