chapter four

"You have to join us for lunch today." Rafe said as he sat on my bed. I was scrolling through instagram, his words made me stop as I looked up from my phone. He shrugged. "My dad really wants to talk to you. I guess he wants to know if this," he gestured between us with his hand, "is actually real." I amusedly raised my eyebrow at him.

"Well, he's right." He scoffed, pulling himself up on my bed, so he could lay next to me, against the headboard.

"He can't know that, though." He paused, looking around my room. "If he found out that even this," he gestured once again between us, "is staged, he-" Rafe cut himself off before he could continue. His eyes found my concerned ones, slowly raising his hand toward my face, but stopping mid action, when he realized what he was about to do. My cheeks blushed a deep shade of red,  making me avert my gaze.

    "When should we be there?"

——

    Lunch at the Camerons has never felt this uncomfortable. I usually came around to eat whenever I was hanging out with Sarah, and that was nearly every day. We sometimes went to my house, but their house was way bigger, which was expected for a family this big.

    Everything felt normal, Ward welcoming us in, making small talk and reminding me that he knew me ever since I was born. I never knew what to respond to that, so all I did was smile and look down.

    Once we sat down to eat, I tried not to play with my food, something I usually did when I was anxious. Instead, I hid one of my hands under the table and I fiddled with the hem of my dress.

    "I have to say that I'm relieved Rafe has found someone so down to earth." Ward's words made me look up from my plate, into his challenging eyes. I once again didn't know what to reply, so I just nodded. "I hope your mother is well."

    "Yeah, she's finally relaxing for the summer. No more work until September." I smiled politely. "Do you have any plans for the summer?" My question made him tense up.

    "No, well at least not yet." He paused to look at his son. "I'm quite curious, why did you get together now? Why not two years ago?" Rafe scoffed, that was what he expected. He shrugged, before turning to look at me. He wanted me to answer.

    "It's actually my fault. He had been asking me to go on a date with him for the last year, but I-"

    "That's what he does. He annoys you until you accept just to get rid of him." Ward said knowingly. I furrowed my eyebrows at  him. It shocked me that he would say such things about his son.

"You didn't let me continue. I was going to say that I regret refusing him. He's such a gentleman, and he's constantly checking up on me. I don't deserve him."  My words made his jaw drop. I smirked, knowing he wasn't expecting me to praise his son, especially in this way. I heard Rafe chuckle beside me, he was clearly happy that his dad was left speechless for once. It took him a while to find the right words, not wanting to throw his son under the bus again, knowing I'd give him a piece of my mind.

"I'm glad you found each other at last. You're good for him, I can already see it." I smiled at Ward, taking Rafe's hand in mine under the table, resting them on my knee. My action made him cockily raise his eyebrow at me. I laughed, continuing eating.

After lunch, we went back to my house. There we spent the rest of the day by the pool, listening to music and dancing. My mom came to check on us once in a while, always with a smile on her face.

Author's Note: Another short part! I'm slowly trying to make them fall in love with each other. I'm trying not to rush it, but I can't wait to write what I've planned. Hope you enjoyed this!!