chapter seventeen

Rafe rested himself next to me, with his back to the headboard. His arm went around my waist protectively, still unsure if I was alright. His hand was rubbing soothing circles on my side, having raised my tank top, to be able to brush my skin.

I turned my head to look at him, still trying to decide whether or not I should actually tell him my dream. It could end horribly, and I wasn't in the mood for another fight. Especially about this.

"It seemed incredibly real. I- um- I dreamt that I was swimming and I was really far away, I couldn't see the shore anymore. There- there was a shark coming towards me- but then I woke up." I tried to say as convincing as possible. He raised his hand to my cheek, carefully caressing it. Then his thumb wiped my tears that I hadn't realized had dropped from my eyes. It wasn't my made up dream I was crying about, it was because the real one felt all too real.

He put his arms around me, holding me close to him. The sound of his heart beating next to my ear calmed my rapidly beating one. This made me unconsciously start sobbing loudly, but he moved one of his hands over the back of my head, trying to help me relax.

"Shh- it's okay, Y/n. It was all just a dream." I nodded, knowing I had to keep the truth to myself. "If it makes you feel any better, I can promise you I won't ever let you swim alone." This actually made me feel even worse, he tried to help me, but he didn't know I was lying. I pulled away from him, nodding, trying to smile.

"Thank you." He smiled, his hand slowly stroking my jaw.

"No problem, love." I hid my face in his chest, I couldn't look at him, knowing that I lied and he still wanted to make me feel good, but that was because he didn't know.

We fell back asleep quickly after our conversation, both tired from everything, but especially my breakdown. I knew it was hard for him to comfort me, not being used to show this much affection.

——

The bed moving underneath me made me wake up. I groaned as I turned around, looking at Rafe who only stirred slightly. I turned my back to him, trying to fall back asleep. His arm went around my waist, pulling me to lay closer to him. The feeling was incredibly usual, like I was used to this happening every night.

"Morning." I heard him mumble against my neck, feeling his breath on my face. He kissed up to my cheek, and I turned my head to kiss his soft lips. They felt raw against mine, loving the hotness they left.

"Hi." I whispered after I pulled away from him for a second, pushing his chest away from me. He smiled, going in for another kiss, more passionate this time. Our tongues moved together, like they were dancing.

I groaned as he was the first to pull away this time, having no more air left. He laughed at my reaction, but returned to press another kiss, shorter and less heated, to my lips. I smiled into it, thankful that we'd made up, but I had a nagging feeling that was pressing on my chest and I knew that it was from the dream. However, I kept it hidden, acting like nothing was wrong.

I knew my mom wasn't home today, having decided to spend the last day of my cousins' stay with them. So we took our time to go to the kitchen to fix ourselves some breakfast. Of course, even when we got there, we couldn't keep away from each other. As I was mixing the eggs for the omelet, he pushed me against the counter, making me move the bowl to the side as I turned around. He grabbed my legs, sitting me on the counter with him between my limbs. I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him even close to me. He was completely enveloped in me, but the detail didn't bother anyone. I pushed his head away from my neck as I stood straighter.

"Let's go to the living room, I can't do this in the kitchen." His laugh sounded more like a groan, knowing what I was talking about. He took my hand, gesturing for me to follow him.

As we got to the living room, he wrapped his arms around my waist, making me lay on the couch. He stood over me, his hands resting on the both sides of my head.

——

We spent the rest of the day by my pool, tanning and making out, either in the water, or on the poolside chairs.

Author's Note: This chapter started off as quite dramatic, but I wasn't in the mood to write another fight! Hope you enjoyed this!!